Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Volunteering - is it safe?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisSTINA

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:23 am    Post subject: Volunteering - is it safe? Reply with quote

Greetings fellow world travellers

I have become very interested in teaching english in Peru and have begun searching the internet for positions.

All I can find seem to be for volunteer positions, for which (for example) I am required to pay $200 US to join. I am then provided with free board and accomodation. While I am quite prepared to undertake such an experience, I am worried that it could be a con to bilk money out of "rich" foreigners.

What do you think? Does anyone out there have positive/negative experiences with such or just advice for me? Does anyone know anything about this specific organization - UK EL Britanico?

Is it possible to go on such an experience and avoid bankrupting yourself with any extra expenses?

Please let me know your opinions. Swing away!
grahamb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:16 am    Post subject: Peru Reply with quote

I've seen a few vacancies recently on this site and on tefl.com. Organisations that offer "placements" on their "programs" charge you for the privilege of working for them. Give them a wide berth.
gambasbo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:31 am    Post subject: Teaching in Peru Reply with quote

Hi Chrisstina

I am teaching in Bolivia, so e mail me if you are interested, or does it have to be Peru? (It's an adjoining country) I do know some possibilities, where you would receive some pay, here where I am in Cochabamba. But one of them would need to know what country you're from.

My e mail is [email protected]

Mike
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:59 pm    Post subject: Volunteering Reply with quote

It's unfortunate that there are many orgs in Latin America that try to take advantage of 'goodwill' for their own gain. I've been looking for something decent and have come up almost empty every time. the worst I've seen is a group in Chiapas that asks for close to $2000 usd per month...per month!

VSO is a good org, if you are a professional, though for Latin America, they are only in Guyana now.

You might do better if you contacted some well known orgs like Amnesty International directly, even if that's not the field you want into. They may have some smaller afiliates, friends, or at least knowledge of something local to help you out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
grahamb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject: Voluntary ESL work Reply with quote

Try oneworld.net. It's got links to lots of NGOs.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I know that I"ve done some volunteer work in the past, but be careful. Some sorganisations will charge you and the students and keep the money for yourself.
I'd rather get a job, personally.
Check out tefl.com
or teachabroad.com
if you really want to volunteer, volunteerabroad.com is good as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: