Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

going home while waiting for a visa

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
juliebk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: going home while waiting for a visa Reply with quote

Does anyone know if it is possible to leave the Schengen Zone and come back while still waiting for the work visa to arrive? I want to go back to the States for Christmas and New Years, but I am worried that I will encounter problems coming back if I don't have my visa yet. Will I receive paperwork showing that I have been approved for a visa so that I can get back into the Czech Republic? Is there even a certain amount of time you need to leave the country for before getting a new tourist visa?
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schengen zone rules state that you must be out of the entire zone for 90 days before your tourist visa can re-start. Perhaps start your trip home asap...
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, just to add - the employer who is helping you apply for a work visa should be able to answer your questions about getting back in after the holidays, pending your receipt of a visa.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in nearly the same boat as juliebk.

I arrived in Poland (Shengen zone) about 60 days ago and by the time I fould a job and my school submitted my visa/work permit paperwork, there wasn't enough time left on my tourist visa for it to clear.

I'm NOT planning to go home (USA) this Xmas, so my school said I should go to Ukraine and come back to Poland to buy enough time for my paperwork to go through.

I pointed out that I would have to be out of the Schengen for 90 days for my visa to restart, but my school said it was no problem and that I would be able to come right back into Poland, no 90 day waiting.

Has anyone done a visa run recently and can confirm that this works? I really don't want a nasty surprise at the Ukraine border (i.e. not getting back into the Schengen). Shocked
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MS, I think it's very much a hit-or-miss. They may not blink an eye, or they may totally calculate every detail.

Since January this year, I've been alternatively grilled and waved thru without comment, on about 14 occasions (I travel frequently in and out of the zone for both work and family). At probably 8 different borders...it's really random.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
MS, I think it's very much a hit-or-miss. They may not blink an eye, or they may totally calculate every detail.

Since January this year, I've been alternatively grilled and waved thru without comment, on about 14 occasions (I travel frequently in and out of the zone for both work and family). At probably 8 different borders...it's really random.

That's pretty much what I expected; it all depends on the mood of the dude at the other side of the counter.
ITTP

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Shake wrote:
I arrived in Poland (Shengen zone) about 60 days ago and by the time I fould a job and my school submitted my visa/work permit paperwork, there wasn't enough time left on my tourist visa for it to clear.

I pointed out that I would have to be out of the Schengen for 90 days for my visa to restart, but my school said it was no problem and that I would be able to come right back into Poland, no 90 day waiting.

I don't know how it works in Poland but here in the Czech Republic you technically have 3 months in which to submit your work visa papers. In practice though you should aim to be getting your papers in order within the first 60 days so that your paperwork is sent off and then you can stay on whilst your visa is being processed (which can take up to 4 months in some cases).

You might want to risk crossing the border and back but this would mean needing to get a new entrance stamp and I think you would have issues with the border police. I wouldn't recommend it.

Hope it helps!

Neville Smile

ITTP TEFL Prague
Narodni 21, Prague 1 - bang in the center of the city!
smithryansmith

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if this is going to become more common, going home before applying. While it might get more expensive, it would certainly help people get legal more effectively. and the schools could interview them and start on paperwork. the only drawback would be the schools not trusting people in case they change their minds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: