Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in a public (secondary) school in Italy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaughterOfaTeacherman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject: Teaching in a public (secondary) school in Italy Reply with quote

Ciao all,

Just wondering if anyone had any more info on the following. A friend of a friend is trying to help me get a position as a "language assistant" in an Italian secondary school. Do any of you esteemed board members have any experience with this type of work? It would seem to be an advantage to have more regular and daytime hours and Italian friends here tell me that it would offer more security (the old Italian obsession with getting into the civil service, I suppose). I have been talking to some "normal" language schools and those may offer me a job before I have the opportunity to speak to the public school, so am wondering how the public school jobs compare in terms of working conditions, salary etc. and whether I should be holding out for that job.

Any advice or thoughts appreciated.
SueH

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I teach part-time in some local primaries although I'm lucky that all the hours are blocked in to one day. Now this being Italy the situation may vary from region to region, but getting a full-time (or nearly so) job I suspect is unlikely. If you can it's worth doing as the hourly rate is a lot better. Plenty of competition from people who have been here some time, so it will be your contacts that help! I get the impression that most of us piece together bits of work from various sources/schools if we are not working in a standard language school.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work in a liceo, so can say the pay is worth it, providing you have your own contract and you're not going through anyone else. But - and a big but - you'll have to get used to large classes, little discipline or motivation, tiredness (if you get the last lesson) and not much in the way of materials. Work with the regular teachers, to make sure you're supporting what they're doing, and be friends with the school's administration. It pays off. Try and block your hours, and don't plan anything for the afternoon. You'll probably need the time off!

I mostly really love working with Italian teenagers. They're smart, funny, and a lot less cyncial than their UK counterparts. Definitely worth the experience in my opinion.
DaughterOfaTeacherman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot. That was just the kind of information I was looking for. Appreciated.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Let us know how you get on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: