Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will Expats Be Required to Pay into New US Healthcare Plan?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
norwalkesl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:46 am    Post subject: Will Expats Be Required to Pay into New US Healthcare Plan? Reply with quote

I have read the multiple bills, so far nothing comes up in the thousands of pages. Just because current law allows no taxes on SS or income (if out 335+ days), I do not assume same for this bill.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll wait until it gets passed before I worry about it Smile

Last edited by naturegirl321 on Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chancellor

Location: Ji'an, China - if you're willing to send me cigars, I accept donations :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Will Expats Be Required to Pay into New US Healthcare Pl Reply with quote

norwalkesl wrote:
I have read the multiple bills, so far nothing comes up in the thousands of pages. Just because current law allows no taxes on SS or income (if out 335+ days), I do not assume same for this bill.
Wow! In reading the bills you've already done more than the members of Congress.

It's all talk and proposal until it's on the President's desk and he signs it into law.

Cue Schoolhouse Rock song "I'm Just A Bill..."

http://www.schoolhouserock.tv/Bill.html
Justin Trullinger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link, Chancellor. I am SO using that in class this afternoon.

Gotta say, I don't really understand the OP's worry. Haven't read anything to imply, let alone state, that any bill being considered would change the tax liabilities of Americans living abroad.

Where did you get that idea?

In the last decade, we've done PLENTY of things more expensive than healthcare, without the idea of increasing taxation on US citizens overseas being floated to help pay for it. (Invading a few countries comes to mind.)

If you look at the real number of Americans who live overseas (very low compared to overall population), and what they're usually doing (most are either military or government employees, who are still taxed normally in any case), and you realize that additional taxation on those of us who are overseas in private employment would be a bureaucratic nightmare that wouldn't pay for the trouble.

Kinda looks like you're scaremongering, to tell you the truth. There isn't anything in any bill that's being considered that addresses or even suggests the idea of overseas taxation. Red herring anyone?

I'm not making a value judgement about taxation, you understand. Just pointing out that increasing taxation on overseas residents wouldn't be an efficient or even cost-effective way of financing any health care plan. And this is probably why, as far as we know, it is not being considered.

I sort of DO wonder if the healthcare options being floated would allow for voluntary contributions from overseas residents, the way social security does. Depending on the particulars, I might be interested in that.

Best,
Justin
norwalkesl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin Trullinger wrote:
Gotta say, I don't really understand the OP's worry. Haven't read anything to imply, let alone state, that any bill being considered would change the tax liabilities of Americans living abroad.

Where did you get that idea?

The US desperately needs tax revenues.

Quote:
Kinda looks like you're scaremongering, to tell you the truth. There isn't anything in any bill that's being considered that addresses or even suggests the idea of overseas taxation. Red herring anyone?

You could not be more incorrect in your assessment.

The US economy is going through a very hard time that will last for years or much longer. Thus they will need every penny of revenues to pay for government programs. The current administration is even less trust worthy and more spendthrift than the prior, and will do anything to get money.

Further discussion of this is simply beyond the scope of Dave's ESL forums.
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear norwalkesl.

"Further discussion of this is simply beyond the scope of Dave's ESL forums."

I agree - but I think you'll find like-minded posters here:

http://www.thefoxnation.com/

Regards,
John
Chancellor

Location: Ji'an, China - if you're willing to send me cigars, I accept donations :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin Trullinger wrote:
Thanks for the link, Chancellor. I am SO using that in class this afternoon.
I'm partial to "Conjunction Junction" myself.
Justin Trullinger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Further discussion of this is simply beyond the scope of Dave's ESL forums.

Also agree, with one exception.

Your original question as I understand it, is "will us Americans who live overseas see our tax situation re the USA change as a result of this?" I do think this is relevant to EFL teaching overseas.

I'd say not. Not because I disagree with:

Quote:
The US desperately needs tax revenues.

(which I guess I don't) but because it would be a horrendously inefficient way to get the revenue. The bureaucracy of trying to trace, let alone tax, earnings in other countries would cost more than it would bring in. My opinion, but I think the US government shares my opinion. Because I agree with you- if they thought it would be a good way to bring in revenue, they certainly might try it.

And there is no sign that they are- As you said:

Quote:
nothing comes up in the thousands of pages

For the moment then, case closed. There is no reason to believe that the tax situation of US citizens overseas is going to change as a result of any health care bill(s) being considered.

Best,
Justin
norwalkesl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They could simply tax all expats on income 5% (or such) to pay for healthcare.

It is unlikely since tax free status is a major benefit to the US global FS staff.

I see a dire tax revenue situation for the US for the foreseeble future.

We shall have to see upon the bill's passing.

My question has been answered - no one here has heard of this.

If such a thing existed, I am sure someone would have heard.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: