Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

For those without a degree...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpvanderwerf2001

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: For those without a degree... Reply with quote

Over the years on here, I have read countless "Can I teach without a degree" and "Where can I teach without a degree" posts.

I completely understand that people have a number of valid reasons for not having taken a degree, but I would hazard a guess that money is the biggest one. With that in mind, I sought out the cheapest options for getting an accredited degree online--one never has to step inside a classroom for those interested.

In the American educational system (not sure about other countries), there are wonderful institutes of learning called community colleges. These CCs, as they're commonly called, will generally help a person get through the first two years of a four-year degree (with the option of attaining an Associate of Arts degree) at a lower price than simply starting at a four-year university (in retrospect, I really wish I'd gone this route, but I digress). Anyone from any country who speaks English and finished secondary school can study at these schools.

I found this gem to get people started*:

It's call Clovis Community College, and it's located in New Mexico. The prices for online courses there are unbelievably cheap. Get this: The price for 13-18 credit hours of studying is the SAME (meaning one pays the same for 13 credit hours as they would for 18: a ridiculously cheap $839 http://www.clovis.edu/downloads/Fall2009Schedule.pdf; at 18 credits, that's $46/credit; unheard of in the States).
Here's their web site: http://www.clovis.edu/ The school is accredited and all or most of its credits will transfer to another college where one can complete their Bachelor's.

So, now that one has taken as many courses as they can at the super affordable CC, it's time to look at finishing one's degree. The cheapest regionally accrediated colleges I could find that offers fully online study are Fort Hays State University (http://www.fhsu.edu/) and Chadron State College (http://www.csc.edu/extended/online/) where the price jumps to around $160 per credit hour; it's still not bad. If one takes, for instance, the online General Studies Major, then they will have to complete 124 hours for the degree. However, if one gets, say, 50% of their coursework out of the way at the aforementioned CC, then they will be left paying roughly $10,000 at Fort Hays State for the completion of a BA.

So, here's my math:

Clovis CC (all online): 62 credits = roughly $2700, then onto
Fort Hays or Chadron State (all online): 62 credits = roughly $10,000
Total = About $15,700 for an accredited Bachelor of Arts degree. ($12,700 for tuition at the schools, and perhaps another $3000 for books and other miscellaneous expenses.)
Just for comparison, a year at my alma mater currently costs about $25,000; at most state schools, one year for an non-resident will run about $10,000. Both of these prices don't include books and extra expenses.

Let's not forget that scholarships, grants, and loans are available for all who want to study. Plus, payment plans are the norm.

Hey--especially for those who come from countries where college is basically free, it ain't free. And, yes, it'll take a few years and some work. However, in the long run--in my opinion of course, this investment will pay itself back. Not to belabor the point, but over the course of a 15-year career that degree will have cost $1000 a year, $90-ish/month. Not so bad from that perspective, I think (especially considering that most careers--if they are indeed careers, last more than 15 years).

And all from the comfort of one's own computer.

Can anyone find a cheaper option for a BA (outside of online diploma printing services Laughing )? If so, please add it here! (For instance, I didn't really look too much outside of the US. I do know that UNISA, in South Africa, is quite a bit cheaper, but I'm not sure of its being accepted throughout the world. I also looked at the Open University in the UK, but that's only cheap for EU residents; international tuition is quite high. All-in-all, I devoted about half an hour to my search; perhaps someone can look a bit more exhaustively.)

Good luck, everyone!

*I'd like to state here that I have no association with Clovis CC, Chadron, or Fort Hays State; they haven't opened branches in Vladivostok...yet Wink
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, that's great info. What about Excelsior? I've heard good things about them
Sansibar1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the University of London external program is another excellent opportunity to obtain an accredited degree through distance learning.

The price for a BA can vary between $4500 and $8000. A fair price when you consider which universities are responsible for the programs.

The link is: http://www.londonexternal.ac.uk/
jpvanderwerf2001

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are both great ideas.

I simply can't imagine a University of London BA in English for 3000 pounds (roughly $5000). Do my litttle math equation with that number! What a steal, from a famous institution.

I have to check out Excelsior next, but I'd heard rumblings about them before.
MrMrLuckyKhan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: CHEAP ACCREDITIED BA ONLINE Reply with quote

good info

Last edited by MrMrLuckyKhan on Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Chancellor

Location: Ji'an, China - if you're willing to send me cigars, I accept donations :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sansibar1 wrote:
I think the University of London external program is another excellent opportunity to obtain an accredited degree through distance learning.

The price for a BA can vary between $4500 and $8000. A fair price when you consider which universities are responsible for the programs.

The link is: http://www.londonexternal.ac.uk/
But don't automatically expect that foreign degree to be accepted in the US, particularly if you're hoping to go on for a Master's or to get state teacher certification.
Justin Trullinger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But don't forget that to some here, it's the US degree that is "foreign." (Not my case, I just turn into a pedant when I "foreign" used to mean "not US.")

Best,

Justin
Chancellor

Location: Ji'an, China - if you're willing to send me cigars, I accept donations :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin Trullinger wrote:
But don't forget that to some here, it's the US degree that is "foreign." (Not my case, I just turn into a pedant when I "foreign" used to mean "not US.")

Best,

Justin
Yes, "foreign" as in foreign to whatever country we happen to be talking about. However, it seems the US is more likely not to accept degrees from other countries. Just as an example, a friend of mine is from India but her degree in special education is from Australia. She is trying to get certified to be a special education teacher here in New York State but she was told by a couple of the state universities here that her four-year degree was not acceptable and that she would have to obtain a degree from an American school. I remember back when I was in the Navy there was a guy who had a degree from his native Haiti but when he tried to get into an officer program he was told his degree was not acceptable. Amazingly, though, there are doctors practicing medicine here in the US who obtained their medical training in other countries, such as the UK (where they have this strange MBBS thing).
nickpellatt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone has mentioned the UKs Open University ... I have just completed my BA with them, and the cost???

Well, for anyone who is based in the UK, and earns less than �16,000 per year ... the cost is a big fat ZERO. Grants pay for all the course fees, and they even allow you a �250 grant towards a computer.

Anyone based within the UK can qualify, as long as they dont already hold a degree. Cant get any cheaper than that!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: