Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems obtaining work visa for Qatar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
visaproblem

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Problems obtaining work visa for Qatar Reply with quote

Recently I was offered a position with CNA in Qatar and my work visa was denied without any reasons given. Has anyone had any experience with this and what would some probable reasons be for denial?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you may have failed the security check for some reason. Do you have a history in the Gulf?

VS
millie18

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know the work visa application was denied or did HR tell you that it was? Sometimes HR departments will be fanciful with the facts if for some reason after having offered you the job, they have now decided that they don't want you.
visaproblem

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, as for a history in the Gulf I have never travelled there. I have travelled throughout Asia and Europe. I was an instructor iin Korea and travelled to several countries while we were there including China. I also had work experience with the Canadian Naval Reserve on my resume. As for CNA-Q, I originally was not offered a position in April but was next on the list and kept my name on their list. I was offered a position in mid July but I had to wait to send some documents, for example my marriage certificate could'nt be sent because I didn't get married until Aug. 1st. My wife was going to accompany me as a dependant. I was given a preliminary itinerary which scheduled us to leave on August 13th. The week before I wasn't getting alot of information and was waiting for my visa. I got a phone call on the 14th saying that my visa plus five others were denied at the same time. That is all the infor that I can think of that might be relevant. There are positions for next year and I was told I would not have to go through the interview process just resubmit an updated resume. Any other ideas? The HR told me that they were given no reason by Qatari immigration for the visa denial and that they could do nothing about it. I am a little hesitant to go through that again.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they are telling you the truth, it is a very odd tale. One theory... and it is only such... is that it is related to the renewal of the contract at this institution. There have been rumors on here (the Gulf is always rife with rumors) that Qatar was not going to renew it. So, if the government looks to be stopping them from hiring new staff, it could be true.

Or millie's guess might be true. They may be seeing dropping student numbers and don't need or know if they will need more teachers.

If you have an MA, you might be better off trying QU. It's warts are predictable, but mostly tolerable, and there haven't been any complaints of them rescinding offers like this.

VS
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QU recently witnessed an exodus of experienced teachers who came to KSA.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are confusing QU with QP, Scot. It was QP that just axed a large proportion of their staff at the end of the year. QU had only a few leave... a normal attrition rate for a department that large.

VS
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO vs I am not
I said QU and I meant QU not QP

So put that in your pipe and smoke it, as we used to say !
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting... since there was a mass of departures from QP last year and relatively few from QU. It was far from being anything near an "exodus." The experienced teachers may have topped out on the pay scale - though they tend to head for the bright lights of the Emirates rather than Saudi. Did you get any of the QP departures?

...and I neither drink nor smoke... Laughing

VS
Rawdata

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Problems obtaining work visa for Qatar Reply with quote

visaproblem wrote:
Recently I was offered a position with CNA in Qatar and my work visa was denied without any reasons given. Has anyone had any experience with this and what would some probable reasons be for denial?

I've had a similar exp. in the UAE.

A couple of years ago Qataris brought in a new regulation re: hiring. I was told by Qataris that jobs would be offered by employers only to be cancelled because the min. of the interior would not OK it. That would make it appear than it was Immigration where the bottleneck was. This probably has nothing to do with you but more to do with bureaucracy and the interpretation of the rules.

BTW, that rule was intended to stop Qataris jumping from job to job (in search of more floos) but foreigners were getting caught up in it too. I've also seen people with Canadian, American citizenship (of various ME origins) who had started work one day and suddenly disappeared the next. Out on the next flight.

Other reasons could be your age, hiring over 60 is supposedly impossible but if you have what they want and your employer is heavy enough (e.g. QF) you'd get past that hurdle. A simple teacher probably wouldn't cut it but a top admin person would.

If something can go wrong in the Gulf, it usually does. That applies to Qatar maybe to a lesser degree than elsewhere but it still applies. You may be told why (it happened) but chances are you will not.

Look at the bright side, better it happens before you've actually made the move than after.

RD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: