Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bahwan CyberTek
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
doner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pay in not excellent.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doner wrote:
The pay in not excellent.

Must agree with doner on this one. These recruiter jobs around Oman are one of the lowest pays in the Gulf. Entry level stuff... but, they are a foot in the door.

VS
Duffy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, at present, the pay package from CfBT to their BA teachers works out MORE than the MoHE pay their direct hire colleagues - go figure that one!!!!!!

Duffy Shocked Shocked
ThaneKerner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duffy wrote:
Actually, at present, the pay package from CfBT to their BA teachers works out MORE than the MoHE pay their direct hire colleagues - go figure that one!!!!!!

Duffy Shocked Shocked

Some pay even more than jobs commonly advertised in Saudi. Saudi jobs that are 'easy' to get have gone down in pay since last summer. I've seen Saudi jobs advertised this week that pay 1650 USD a month.
Arabian Hawk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oman is now the new "ESL Land of Opportunity" in the Arabian Peninsula. Laughing Laughing
ThaneKerner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that in the contract, Hawk? A contract I'd have to wait on until I got to Oman to get if I went with Bahwan.
Duffy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TK,

Stop encouraging this Plonker, or are you one and the same??????
ThaneKerner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I WANT to encourage him. To give me a contract up front with a 1-month departure clause, that is. Bahwan gives its employees the contract only after they arrive in Oman, plus BC gives a 1-month notice period for termination. If I sign with them, I have to give 3 months' notice or 3 months' salary if I want/need to leave the contract early. No thanks.
bluemoray

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Bahwan Cybertek teachers in Nizwa Reply with quote

Any current teachers in Nizwa who are now with Bahwan Cybertek can say where the best current deal in accommodation is (no cockroach motels) and how there experience has been with Bahwan Cybertek since you have been in Nizwa. Speaking of newer teachers from 2011 to today not those who have been there awhile already.

Paid on time?

What are you doing for transport?.... renting? ....car pooling? ...driver? What do most of you do to get to and from work there?.....say if you don't have a current license and it is expired? Does Bahwan Cybertek help you with transport besides set money for it? people contacts or good driver for a decent price., or is that more from the school ...your colleagues?

How are they now compared to the other recruiters? I am aware of the 3 month wait and vacation info but to be honest I would be more concerned about being placed in a crappy place or guided to one and not getting paid on time or less. If none of that is going on then ....no big deal.
bluemoray

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: forgot it is August Reply with quote

Let me just rephrase my question: Anyone last year who is still employed with Bahwan Cybertek to teach again this coming September have any info on this experience with them they can share ...positive/negative.....particularly regarding housing
thesuitthatdidnt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: just say no Reply with quote

Cybertek is run by Indians. It is not very good pay. Teachers live is worse conditions than with other recruiters. And...they make it very difficult for you to select your own accommodation, financially deducting this and that if you don't stay in their very very run down places.

Generally, the college you work at will be filled with students who are essentially 'welfare cases'. By that I mean, students who are very poor and whose low grades don't afford them any chance of even entering a mediocre place like Sohar University.

Your colleagues will not be all native speakers, and will barely know proper English themselves. By that, I mean, Philipinos, Indians, South Africans, and shock: :shock maybe some Pakistanis and whomever else bothered to complete the application, and were accepted out of desperation.

Cybertek is a 'mill', and churns out employees as quickly as they are let go or quit. It is perhaps the worst company in the Gulf to work for.

But that being said, you will find a few on here who praise the company, probably the management themselves posting, or a few 'new to TEFL who don't realize that they are the lowest on the rung in terms of Oman. Everything depends on your personal 'standards'. Do you not care about the overall quality of your life, or do you ? Have you found yourself rejected by every other employer in Oman and find Cyber-whine keen?
It's up to you in the end.

Don't say you haven't been warned.
Idea
balancedsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Bahwan Reply with quote

I don't work for them, but colleagues do. They seem to be OK. Not fantastic, but OK. I think they generally pay on time but might have been late a day or two a couple of times. Their pay date is later than some agencies', though.

Their package was a bit behind in terms of airfares, but that seemed to be well on its way to being fixed when the colleges finished last academic year. The monthly salary was similar to others', but included an amount for airfares. At least some other agencies paid that as an extra item at the end of the year. Just check out what the others are paying to see whether it has been changed. If not, ask them to do it.

You'll have to find your own accommodation. It can be a hassle, but lots of people have managed in the past and several new buildings should be ready in September.

No transport is provided. There's a private minibus that does the run from the centre of town and some of the lecturers car pool.
thesuitthatdidnt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Bahwan Reply with quote

[quote="balancedsentiments" Their package was a bit behind in terms of airfares... You'll have to find your own accommodation. It can be a hassle, ... No transport is provided. There's a private minibus that does the run from the centre of town and some of the lecturers car pool.[/quote]

Correct, the reason the advertised salary 'appears' high is the fact that they are adding your annual leave and annual airfare in the monthly rate.

In other words, they divide your annual airfare and annual leave days over the working year and dole it out to you on a monthly basis. Therefore when you speak with your colleagues who are actually making about 1000 dollars more per month...it SOUNDS like you are making the same. But in fact you are making less.

In Oman, airfares are paid in full to your home country every summer at the end of the College/Uni/School term.

{again, see CyberTeks varied advertised rates being 3000-4000 dollars !, read between the lies, this is the varied airfares it costs to fly teachers home to different countries. In other words, your country flight may cost 2500 dollars, while an Indian teacher's flight cost $300 dollars...etc..}

Summer salaries are often paid when you finish the last term in May/June/July. You may receive your summer salaries in full
(between 30-60 days).

Some places will pay it automatically into your account each month, June, July, August or whatever the agreement.

CyberTek, plays Indian math, and says you get this SALARY, but you don't, they have added in your housing, airfare, and your holidays every month to make it 'appear' bigger.

Also, they are poor in terms of transparency. So..if you can avoid.
cfaulkner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bahwan Cybertek requires a 3 month notice if you decide you want to leave your job after the probation period but before your contract is up. Vacation periods don't count toward that 3 months either. If you can't give the 3 months, you will be expected to pay 3 months of salary or do a runner. Your choice.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

University level is usually a one semester or 6 month notice in the Gulf, so I consider this short.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: