Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

questions about recruiters

View previous topic :: View next topic  
schwa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: questions about recruiters Reply with quote

[posted for Iggyb who's waiting to register here]

Are there good recruiters to go with in Oman? Some to clearly avoid? I've read some negative warnings.

Also, how does the recruiter relationship work in Oman and the ME?

It seems like recruiters in Oman (and the greater ME?) are key to your pay and benefits throughout your contract - not the school???

I am used to recruiters in Korea where the primary problem is they will string you along again and again - letting you think you are locked into a job - only to have it disappear with no contact because the school found someone with blonde hair and blue eyes from North America in her 20s they liked better...

But in Korea, once you get the visa in your passport and are locked into a school - your relationship with the recruiter is usually over.

From what I'm reading about negative recruiter experiences in Oman, it seems your pay and benefits go through the recruiter. Is that correct? Is that the norm elsewhere in the ME?

Iggyb
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The confusion is caused by the fact that there are recruiters and there are contractors and the terminology has become mushed together. For instance in Saudi Arabia, there are many recruiters which mainly just refer CVs collected to employers. The employer could be a school or university or it could be a contractor who handles everything for the school/university (and also recruits). It can all become very confusing.

In Oman, these recruiters are more contractors. It may say on the contract that the Ministry is your employer, but everything is handled by the "recruiter" who handles your pay and such.

Which recruiter is good and which to avoid? That is the big question. You will find negatives and positives about all of them. It is a crapshoot about how your experience would be. It is also variable as to which branch is going better than another... as management changes as often as teachers.

All one can do is keep reading the posts here as to what is going on with which and decide if you want to make the gamble. And remember that it is usually the unhappy who post about employer X, and we rarely know for sure who's at fault... there are crappy employers, but also lots of unstable individuals rattling around the TEFL world. Laughing

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: