Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mentioning private classes and visting in person...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danpatmac

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Mentioning private classes and visting in person... Reply with quote

(as this question is relevant in most places, I also posted this in the General Discussion forum).

Hi there,

I do not think this topic has been covered before - I did a search and could find nothing. Everyone's advice is greatly appreciated.

I have just arrived in Colombia and am planning of settling down in Medellin or Cartagena and teaching English in a private language institution. I have a BA and the CELTA, but my only teaching experiece is doing private classes in Buenos Aires, Argentina. I worked ther for 6 months, teaching students which I found on Craigslist or by advertising my services on posters. I have heard that language institutes (understandably) frown on teachers doing private classes because it competes with their business.

My question is this: bearing in mind that I have no other teaching experience, should I mention these private classes on my CV / in an interview, or would this just make my potential employer suspicious that I might try and steal their students for private classes outside of the institution (which, by the way, I have no plans of doing). i.e. What is better, rousing this suspicion or having NO teaching experience whatsoever on your CV?

Another question: In Colombia, do you think it is better to email institutions a CV and cover letter, or to visit them in person to hand in a CV / ask for an interview? Does the direct approach work better?

Once again, any input is greatoly appreciated....

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: