Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

James Cook Language School
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aussie Girl

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:18 am    Post subject: James Cook Language School Reply with quote

Hello there!

Just wondering if anyone has worked for or is currently working at James Cook Language School and could tell me a little about it? Also I have been reading the forums and people have said its not advisable to organize work from abroad but I will be going to Prague in late January 2010 on my own (which is a pretty scary thing in itself!) and wasn't too keen on rocking up with nothing organized!
Aussie Girl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: ?? Reply with quote

Still awaiting a reply on my post....
cks

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for it! I know plenty of people who work there and are satisfied. You will have to commit to a one year contract, but they will get you a work permit and have good benefits and pay.
mr tree

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, has a strong reputation
ITTP

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, we consider James Cook a recommend school to teach for now.

Have a great day!

Neville Smile

ITTP TEFL Prague
Narodni 21, Prague 1 - bang in the center of the city!
dhinselwood

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey aussie girl its used by tefl scotland so should be good, usually get 1 yr contracts and if not in prague the first interview can be done by skype..i've just done it Wink
Aussie Girl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey hey. Yes it seems to have a good reputation by the sounds of things. I've had an initial iterview over skype too and will be arriving in Prague at the end of this month to conduct the face to face interview. When are you coming over?
spookyduke

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject: Skype Interview Reply with quote

They must be hiring a few people at the moment (unless it gets trickier at the face-to-face). I have a skype interview on Tuesday with JCL. All the info on the web seems to be positive and judging from their customer list they are looking to attract proffesionals and be proffesional!
mr tree

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

but hopefully (for you), not people who can spell "professional" correctly Twisted Evil

(only joking - good luck with your interviews, everyone!)
roywebcafe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Interviews with JCL Reply with quote

I have an interview with JCL school in february - they insist on two weeks notice. I have to do a mock lesson with a one-one teacher posing as as student.

Anyone done this before? Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

I have had a lot more challenging things in ESL before but since I have not worked in ESL since July and i have to make the long trip from UK to Prague for one day I am feeling a little anxious. Also not had many one to ones.
mr tree

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooof - that certainly seems a lot of effort to make for an interview. hopefully that'd stand you in good stead Smile
i hope for your sake that the "teacher posing as a student" is professional and doesn't take the chance to act up, or even "act like a Czech student", which could be interesting.... (not that they're bad but they can be quiet!)
spookyduke

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Skype Interview Reply with quote

Hi,

I have the same thing lined up Roy but this time over Skype. Will let you know what it was like.

They have been pretty precise with the scenario and requested several points to be covered.

This will be my first TEFL interview and first time teaching one-to-one so count your blessings Smile
roywebcafe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Skype Interview Reply with quote

Thanks Spooky

I wondered if i could do my second interview/mock lesson on Skype? prague does seem along way to go.

Also The accomodation and first months living expenses i am told could cost around �850 before you see any salary? Worrying for me as I only have around �700 to my name right now!!

spookyduke wrote:
Hi,

I have the same thing lined up Roy but this time over Skype. Will let you know what it was like.

They have been pretty precise with the scenario and requested several points to be covered.

This will be my first TEFL interview and first time teaching one-to-one so count your blessings Smile
Trumpcard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 5 years' teaching experience in Japan and Korea along with a CELTA. I come from Australia and always wanted to teach in Europe. James Cook would provide me with a work permit? What is their pay like?
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pay in Europe is subsistence level in general. The job market is just very different to what you will be used to in Asia. You can expect to make enough money to live on somewhat frugally and enjoy the area where you are. Saving anything is difficult.

James Cook will be in the 'enough to live on' range.

Any reputable language school that wants to hire you in the Czech Rep will help you with the visa process. It is still legal for non-EU citizens to work in the country as language teachers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: