Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gulf Pearl Hotel
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:32 am    Post subject: Gulf Pearl Hotel Reply with quote

Comments ? I am slowly working my way through all the gin-joints in town.
johnslat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear scot47,

Must be thirsty work - hope they keep those ginless tonics (with lemon peel) coming.

Regards,
John
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:34 am    Post subject: aha Reply with quote

John, in February I shall be having my 63rd birthday party on licensed premises in Manama, Bahrain. You are welcome to join my steadily-growing pack of fans and admirers to help me celebrate. I think there might even be three of us in 2010 !

Will 2010 be my last year TEFL-ing ? Or should I sign up for another period of indentures ?

Last edited by scot47 on Tue May 18, 2010 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will I then be celebrating alone ?
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear scot47,
February, huh? So, you're a fellow Aquarian. Mine's on Feb. 14th, Valentine's Day, and I'll be (gulp) 67 in 2010.
Much as I'd love to join you, I'm afraid the commute would be a bit much.
However, you are, as you know, always welcome here in Santa Fe should your travels ever land you in this neck of the woods.
Regards,
John
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So John has declined and there are no other takers ? Sheech ! I think I will go and hang myself. That will show you all !
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear scot47,

If you hang yourself this birthday, what will you do for your next one?

Hanging's a hard act to follow.

Regards,
John
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your point. The "self-kill" or "free-death"as our German cousins so quaintly call it can wait until 2011.
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear scot47,

Death may not be proud:

"DEATH be not proud, though some have called thee
Mighty and dreadfull, for, thou art not so,
For, those, whom thou think'st, thou dost overthrow,
Die not, poore death, nor yet canst thou kill me."

but it is infinitely patient - perhaps from spending so much time in the Middle East.

So, take your time - every last given second of it. Remember, it's all inshallah:

"The Appointment in Samarra"
(as retold by W. Somerset Maugham [1933])
The speaker is Death

There was a merchant in Bagdad who sent his servant to market to buy provisions and in a little while the servant came back, white and trembling, and said, Master, just now when I was in the marketplace I was jostled by a woman in the crowd and when I turned I saw it was Death that jostled me. She looked at me and made a threatening gesture, now, lend me your horse, and I will ride away from this city and avoid my fate. I will go to Samarra and there Death will not find me. The merchant lent him his horse, and the servant mounted it, and he dug his spurs in its flanks and as fast as the horse could gallop he went. Then the merchant went down to the marketplace and he saw me standing in the crowd and he came to me and said, Why did you make a threating getsture to my servant when you saw him this morning? That was not a threatening gesture, I said, it was only a start of surprise. I was astonished to see him in Bagdad, for I had an appointment with him tonight in Samarra."

Regards,
John
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time is a very curious thing. I never thought about it much - but now that my hourglass is running out I think of little else !
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gulf Pearl Hotel was okay. Frosty-faced staff on reception. Noisy. Incessaant phone calls offering "massage".

If I am back in Bahrain - which I doubt - I will use the Dilmun. The whoremongering is more discreet.

Last edited by scot47 on Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
7atetan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Gulf Peral Hotel was okay. Frosty-faced staff on recep[tion. Noisy. Incessaant phone calls offering "massage".

If I am back in Bahrain - which I doubt - I will use the Dilmun. The whoremongering is more discreet.

If one is interested in an inexpensive, centrally-appointed hotel in Manama, as a base to sleep in, without the smut, noise and all the rest besetting most 3- and 4-star outfits, I would heartily recommend the Oriental Palace Hotel (+973-17-223-331), located at the back of the Yateem Center. The decor is straight out of the 1970s and much of it has obviously not been updated since then, but the rooms are comfortable, en suite, boasting a T.V. set and even a small refrigerator and the staff is extremely courteous. Plus it only costs about BD 17 per night and, if you're staying for more than a couple of nights, they're open to reducing that even further.

And, I can't emphasize this enough: DO NOT EVER TAKE A TAXI off the street in Bahrain. Those *beep* S.O.Bs are the lowest thieving forms of life on the planet. Manama is small enough to walk anywhere but if you really can't manage, call a newly-established metered cab service on 17-782-828.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cabs now have government notices threatening their drivers with dire penalties if they do not use the meter to calculate the fare and stick to that. Of course these successors to the Gulf pirates ignore these threats.

Taxi-drivers and aggressive hookers are what spoil Bahrain for me.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undeterred by the Agents of the Evil One, I shall return to the hotels of Bahrain !
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Events have conspired to FORCE me to go to Bahrain next week. I shall, of course, have to continue my field work in the hotels and gin joints of Manama. I trust the brethren will pray for me as I go about the Work of the LORD !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Bahrain All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: