Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Making Lengthy Phone Calls To The U.S.A. from HCMC, Vietnam

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cutiepy126

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:38 am    Post subject: Making Lengthy Phone Calls To The U.S.A. from HCMC, Vietnam Reply with quote

I need to make an hour long phone call to the U.S.A. and I am wondering what is the best way to do so. I have a Vietnamese SIM card and I use Skype all the time. Will the Vietnamese SIM card even call the U.S.A. and if so will it use more minutes than only calling within Vietnam. If I use Skype I know I have to purchase minutes and then I will need to find a 24 our Wifi spot that is quiet. My current Wifi connection sucks and it's not quiet. If I use Skype I need to find a killer Wifi spot. What is the easiest way to call the U.S.A. for at least an hour?
sg9015

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won't the recipient in the US have access to skype? Saves purchasing the minutes. I wouldn't even consider using a mobile or landline.

There is a cafe close to where I live that has a very fast and solid connection. The owners are more than happy for people to use it as much as they like as long as you order something.
lizarddoctor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calling the states directly from my cell phone costs me about 200.000 VND an hour. I have a regular cell # from mobiphone and they actually give me 10-15% discounts regularly if I happen to make a few calls. Not sure how this compares to calling with a prepaid card, but i can't seeing it being much more unless you are using some rinky dink cell company here. Get your cards from the big boy companies and they don't really gouge you too much. It costs a lot more to call here from the states than the other way around.
Demonietto

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know of an Internet cafe in/near D1 that has a bit of privacy around the computer? I want to skype to the US but don't really want to deal with close quarters neighbors, but don't have my own laptop. Thanks!
TRH

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?p=1102197&highlight=#1102197

This is really the best way to phone the US that I know about. Of course a free Wi-Fi connection and Skype is the best but sometimes it won't work too well with the time differences. I find I usually need to make a brief phone call to get the Skype call going.
Tigerstyleone

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sg9015 wrote:
Won't the recipient in the US have access to skype?

Not if they are incarcerated.
Oh My God

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Making Lengthy Phone Calls To The U.S.A. from HCMC, Viet Reply with quote

cutiepy126 wrote:
I need to make an hour long phone call to the U.S.A. and I am wondering what is the best way to do so. I have a Vietnamese SIM card and I use Skype all the time. Will the Vietnamese SIM card even call the U.S.A. and if so will it use more minutes than only calling within Vietnam. If I use Skype I know I have to purchase minutes and then I will need to find a 24 our Wifi spot that is quiet. My current Wifi connection sucks and it's not quiet. If I use Skype I need to find a killer Wifi spot. What is the easiest way to call the U.S.A. for at least an hour?

You can also use Yahoo Messenger to make video calls for free
Demonietto

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone recommend an Internet cafe that has computers with cameras and mics? I want to get on skype but don't have a computer. I saw a few places like this is Chiang Mai, but not here in HCMC yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: