Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My experience at IH LVIV

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steviok85

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: My experience at IH LVIV Reply with quote

While it is not my intention to rant and rave against IH Lviv, I would like to merely state the facts of the most shocking experience of my life.
Having taught in Poland for a year, I decided to hop over the border to Lviv. It's a beautiful city, Krakowesque and charming. I thought IH- steady school, not much can go wrong, although one never knows in this cut-throat business.
Upon arrival at Lviv bus station, I was greeted by a guy whose name rhymes with go-man and the first letter should come before s in the alphabet. He took me to my flat. It was comfortable and I had a very helpful English speaking neighbour who was 85. So I was delighted until goman took me grocery shopping. He said he had a $10 food allowance for me, and after half of that disappeared, half went into his pocket. Err 'can I have that?'. He said he would have to speak to the accountant. Enough said. 'Can I have some milk?' No, said goman. I quickly twigged that goman, aside from his daylight robbery tactics, is possibly the rudest person on the planet. He bundles his way to the front of shop queues and demands, he doesn't ask, and thus leaves behind a trail of startled customers. What a distasteful specimen.
The reason I was sacked after the grand total of three days is because, in the Director and DOS's words, I "wasn't right for the IH image". Let me share with you: You are expceted to act like a complete moron, clap your hands at the most ridiculous and childish things, and wear a permanent smile on your face. Sorry if I was so normal. After all, I went in early to school, planned my lessons, and immediately established a good rapport with the students. Doesn't that count? I do the job. I don't drink or take drugs. What more can they want?
Maybe it is natural, as the DOS enjoys, to mince around with a distasteful grin on your face. Perhaps that was my downfall.
So I was drafted in to the Director's office and sacked. They asked me to put it in writing that I 'resigned', another farce. I refused to partake in such a scam. The boss gave me a month's pay as compensation, in which case I should have demanded more. I left the office in a furious fashion, then the DOS minced into the teacher's room and told me to leave the flat in a few days. It was like a bad nightmare- the most torturous plot by any management I have known. That's how I felt. How can you get sacked for doing the job PROPERLY??? The way it should be done. How can you judge someone who DOES THE JOB after five minutes??
In fact, I think they wanted to replace me after one day when some yank smarmed his way into the teacher's room on my second day. There was I planning my lessons when the plot was unfolding.
Absolute disgrace. I will post more info soon.
bejarano

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: My experience at IH LVIV Reply with quote

steviok85 wrote:
While it is not my intention to rant and rave against IH Lviv, I would like to merely state the facts of the most shocking experience of my life.
Having taught in Poland for a year, I decided to hop over the border to Lviv. It's a beautiful city, Krakowesque and charming. I thought IH- steady school, not much can go wrong, although one never knows in this cut-throat business.
Upon arrival at Lviv bus station, I was greeted by a guy whose name rhymes with go-man and the first letter should come before s in the alphabet. He took me to my flat. It was comfortable and I had a very helpful English speaking neighbour who was 85. So I was delighted until goman took me grocery shopping. He said he had a $10 food allowance for me, and after half of that disappeared, half went into his pocket. Err 'can I have that?'. He said he would have to speak to the accountant. Enough said. 'Can I have some milk?' No, said goman. I quickly twigged that goman, aside from his daylight robbery tactics, is possibly the rudest person on the planet. He bundles his way to the front of shop queues and demands, he doesn't ask, and thus leaves behind a trail of startled customers. What a distasteful specimen.
The reason I was sacked after the grand total of three days is because, in the Director and DOS's words, I "wasn't right for the IH image". Let me share with you: You are expceted to act like a complete moron, clap your hands at the most ridiculous and childish things, and wear a permanent smile on your face. Sorry if I was so normal. After all, I went in early to school, planned my lessons, and immediately established a good rapport with the students. Doesn't that count? I do the job. I don't drink or take drugs. What more can they want?
Maybe it is natural, as the DOS enjoys, to mince around with a distasteful grin on your face. Perhaps that was my downfall.
So I was drafted in to the Director's office and sacked. They asked me to put it in writing that I 'resigned', another farce. I refused to partake in such a scam. The boss gave me a month's pay as compensation, in which case I should have demanded more. I left the office in a furious fashion, then the DOS minced into the teacher's room and told me to leave the flat in a few days. It was like a bad nightmare- the most torturous plot by any management I have known. That's how I felt. How can you get sacked for doing the job PROPERLY??? The way it should be done. How can you judge someone who DOES THE JOB after five minutes??
In fact, I think they wanted to replace me after one day when some yank smarmed his way into the teacher's room on my second day. There was I planning my lessons when the plot was unfolding.
Absolute disgrace. I will post more info soon.

Sorry to hear about that mate, I was going to apply there after my year in South Korea but I'll give it a wide berth, I hope you get something sorted soon.

As for the yank, he'll get shafted up the backside soon enoug if that's how IH in Lviv do business. I'd have pity on him, not hate (not that I would blame you)
jpvanderwerf2001

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your experience. I taught at IH-Lviv for two years, and they were wonderful times. The director (Marina) was helpful and supportive of me, a fledgling teacher at the time. I guess sometimes things simply don't work out...
Good luck with your next job!
steviok85

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things worked out ok.
I am settled in Krakow at a half-decent school. Krakow is like my home.
I guess goodness can follow a nightmare experience.
jpvanderwerf2001

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Krakow is a righteous city; have been there many, many times (it was a haven of sanity from Ukraine as you can imagine). I had considered going there after L'viv, but my path took a Latin American turn.
Enjoy yourself...
chromium

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any update on IH Lviv from this poor fellow's experience?

This was over 5 years ago.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: