Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Road2Argentina volunteer Program ESL Teaching

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina
View previous topic :: View next topic  
therealsupa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:10 am    Post subject: Road2Argentina volunteer Program ESL Teaching Reply with quote

http://www.road2argentina.com/seccionsub.asp?IdSeccion=18

Hey guys,

I found this company who offer ESL Volunteering with housing included. For someone who is new to BA and not yet any ESL Experience, do you guys think this would be a good introduction into the city? For the 2 months it will be about $2000 - but i feel like it would be worth it having somewhere to go as soon as i touch down... and also, i need to be in the country to apply for paid positions. I am thinking some bar work at nights to sustain me would be fine.

Just wondering who else have heard of this company.. and any advice would be great, thanks

Danielle Cool
spanglish

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a clever to get you to do free work AND pay them. I'm immediately suspicious of 'volunteer' programs that require payment.

"Road2Argentina places you as a teaching assistant at a high-quality private school."

Emphasis on the private school part.

If you want a way to network I would recommend looking into couchsurfing or live mocha.
parrothead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't pay to volunteer. That's nuts. Take the 2 thousand dollars and just enjoy your time in Argentina. If you want to teach, perhaps you can find short term work.
sarahg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful of volunteer programs that require you to pay beforehand.

Once they have your money, they can demand that you do anything, upon threat of being kicked out of the housing you were counting on for "not doing your work." It happened to me in Costa Rica -- the girl running the sea turtle project at the same location didn't have enough volunteers one week and told me that I had to work for her project as well, though I had been told by the central office that I only had to teach, even had a note specifying that on my paperwork. I called the home office to complain and when the girl found out I was kicked out for being "disrespectful." Luckily I had gone directly through the NGO and only prepaid a small fee for room and food, but if I'd gone through some agency I could have been out hundreds of dollars per week. And this was a legit, national NGO accepting both local and foreign volunteers. There were also rules about how we couldn't go to local bars or restaurants and basically had to either be at the beach or in the house at all times.

Bottom line...don't prepay anything. You'll do more good for the communities by spending your money at local businesses anyways (and probably have much better housing and more fun). If you find a smaller community, know some spanish, and hang out long enough, you can find people who need your help just by asking around. If you don't know spanish or you want to "do" something while you're there, sign up for Spanish school, it should be a comparable price and you're less likely to get taken advantage of.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: