Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

scot47 for President

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blindjackdog

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:11 am    Post subject: scot47 for President Reply with quote

Actually, I just want to ask a question or two:

How are PhDs viewed over there, ie, do they get you good jobs? My almost-complete PhD is in "English" (ie lit), not tesol or anything, but I have a good 5 years' tesol experience split between Thailand and New Zealand, good references etc, as well as tutoring in my english dept here. MA as well, also in lit. Male, 32. NZer.

Also, I'm nearby the region for a conference in June (when scot47 vows to be escaping it) and thought of attempting preparatory interviews or some such with the view to scoring a job in September or so. Is this a totally ludicrous thought? (I understand someone would have to sponser me to get a short-term visa.) The idea would be to find a nice job, assuming that what's advertised on the net isn't necessarily the best the Kingdom has to offer. Am I dreaming?

If your answers to the above are in any way encouraging I'll no doubt have more to ask later.

Although scot might suggest that I save myself the pain and become a bus driver. Surely, scot47, of all people, you certainly understand that among the things I cannot change are the past, the present and the future.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never heard of anyone coming on a 'normal' visa to Saudi to look for a job. I have heard of muslims coming to do pilgrimage and look for a job while they are here. This optionis not open to those of other religions.

TESOL-Arabia has a conference but it is in March (I think) . I cannot imagine that they will agree to change the dates to suit you.

Having an 'almost' PhD does not count. A real one - in Lit ar anything else will open doors.

Places to try ? British Aerospace and KFUPM. The oases of Arabia are no longer places to make oodles of money.

Last edited by scot47 on Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
ohman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a PhD in English, you might consider looking for a position with a university anywhere in the Khaleej. There are quite a few English departments (literature and linguistics) and many Khaleejis with PhDs who need you to put their names on your papers as co-authors. You will be much higher up on the food chain and will rub elbows with a lot of people who have wasta (influence).

You will have a hard time pounding the pavement in Saudi and Kuwait, but you can get into Bahrain, Oman and the UAE on a tourist visa.
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say you will be "in the region" do you mean in KSA itself or simply in the Gulf?

If the latter, then I would say your chances of getting a 'tourist visa' (bit of any oxymoron here) are very slim, as they are almost impossible to come by unless you go on a group tour. If you did manage to get in, there's no reason you couldn't do some sort of job hunt if you are in one of the bigger cities. However, I've never heard of that happening. Schools do their recruiting via ads and conferences abroad.
blindjackdog

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for your replies and advice.

I understand the money in ksa is not what it used to be, but with the potential for saving it still seems the best option.

I didn't understand 'khaleej', nor did any dictionary I own. Google directed me to either hotels or a newspaper in the uae. Is that what 'khaleej' refers to, the uae? Dubai? Can someone explain?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Khaleej is Arabic for Gulf ---

VS
Jim Bigelow

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al Khaleej is commonly used to refer to the gulf region: Emirates/Kuwait/Ksa/Omam/Qatar/Bahrain etc
Jim Bigelow

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al Khaleej is commonly used to refer to the gulf region: Emirates/Kuwait/KSA/Omam/Qatar/Bahrain etc
blindjackdog

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I should have used an arabic dictionary. Thank you folks one and all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: