Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Furniture cost

View previous topic :: View next topic  
elizabeth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 10:30 am    Post subject: Furniture cost Reply with quote

I'm trying to work out how much it will cost for furniture for my unfurnished apartment. I move to the Japan next month (Nagoya area).

I'm just looking for an average cost on these items. Question

1. stove (2nd hand)
2. small fridge ( " " )
3. computer desk ( " " )
4. computer monitor ( " " )
5. toaster ( " " )
6. single futon: bed + seat ( " " )
7. single duvet/pillow
8. set of pans (1 small, 1 medium and 1 frying pan)
9. something to hang my clothes on (inexpensive, 2nd hand)

Thank in advance for any replies. Very Happy
David W

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

50,000 yen tops for the lot, good quality used. Buy a new futon set. Contact your school and see if the teacher you are replacing is willing to sell his/her stuff.
Glenski

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elizabeth,

If your apartment is unfurnished, you will also have to supply a washing machine and drying line/rack, as well as a kerosene space heater and tanks. Budget these into your costs as well. I imagine curtains would also be on the list.
Shonai Ben

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also suggest that you go to a 100 yen shop.They sell lots of
stuff for of course 100 yen.You can find a lot of the stuff you will need
in your kitchen.The shops seem to be almost everywhere so you should
be able to locate one in your city.
Good luck. Wink
G Cthulhu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ports of call once you arrive:

100 yen stores (surprising amount of stuff available in most of them)

Kanbun/Homac/Sunday - "family living stores" They sell most anything in the homewares line. Sunday chain is the lowest priced, generally, but shop around for sales.

K's Electrical. For anything electrical, although for big applicances Sunday may well be cheaper, although they won't have the same range to choose from.

For what you've listed as wanting, second hand really won't be saving you much and is probably more hassle than it's worth.
Glenski

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not going to find appliances and drying racks at any 100 yen shop, but those shops are excellent for the darnedest things!

FYI, our secondhand washing machine cost us about 12,000 yen, whereas a new model like it would've been 30,000 yen. So, it does pay to use secondhand stores sometimes.

Expats leaving the country often conduct "sayonara sales", so you can get everything you need at very cheap costs. Of course, caveat emptor on the quality of things, and you usually have to be the one to haul them away.
nakanoalien2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 5:38 am    Post subject: Furniture, etc. Reply with quote

If you are in Tokyo, may I also suggest the 300 yen shop. If you want to go cheap, but still get some (relatively) stylish stuff, this shop is good. A little step up from the 100 yen shop. There's a place located in Shinjuku on the 4th or 5th floor of Lumine.

Muji is a good place to get new bedding, beds, household stuff and is not outrageously expensive.

Sayonara sales are great, but the stuff goes really fast and often requires you to transport it (i.e. a bit of a hassle).

I've found averaging furniture costs is really a funny thing. You can get a stylish new coffee table for 20,000 or for 60,000 and to me, they look about the same level in terms of quality and style.

Overall, if you wait around/ask around long enough, people will just give you things as they leave or move, too.

-Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: