Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UK Contracts and Tax

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
a-gidi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 7:08 pm    Post subject: UK Contracts and Tax Reply with quote

Hello! I'd like some help please. Does anyone know, if I sign a contract for a summer school job in England and then decide I want to take a different job, am I beholden to the company whose contract I have signed or can I get out of it. I'll be signing the contract 3 months before the job begins. Also I'm a British citizen but I'm now resident in Spain. If I have an English contract for only 6 weeks work do I have to pay tax and national insurance? If anyone knows anything, particularly about the contract PLEASE let me know.

Thank you Rolling Eyes
lajzar

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hello! I'd like some help please. Does anyone know, if I sign a contract for a summer school job in England and then decide I want to take a different job, am I beholden to the company whose contract I have signed or can I get out of it.

I guess you could quit out of it before the start date with nothing more than bad feelings from that company, and their sincere desire never to employ you again. Legally, it is a civil matter, but I can't imagine them taking time out to sue you over it.

Quote:
I'll be signing the contract 3 months before the job begins. Also I'm a British citizen but I'm now resident in Spain. If I have an English contract for only 6 weeks work do I have to pay tax and national insurance?

Yes, you'll have to pay tax and national insurance if these are taken out from the pay directly and they are doing everything by the book, which is the norm in the UK. You'll probably be on the emergency tax code too, although it is more likely you'll be taxed on the lowest income bracket, as the UK might not have documented evidence of other income. The first 2000 quid or so is tax-free, so you might not end up paying tax overall, although it will be noted as part of your total taxable income for the year.

The British tax rule is that anyone, regardless of nationality, pays income tax on income earnt in the UK. British citizens who earn money abroad may have to pay UK income tax on that, depending on what fraction of the tax year is spent abroad. Be careful about the amount of time you spend in Britain, or you may be paying tax on your Spanish income.
a-gidi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 1:20 pm    Post subject: Thanks Lajzar! Reply with quote

The information you posted is very helpful.

Thanks very much!
SueH

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit more detail on tax...

You are allowed to earn �4615 per year tax free and the next �1800 is taxed at 10%. After that the tax rate is (it's late so don't re;ly on me entirely) 20% plus there is also National Insurance at 10% after a certain minimum income. You're likely be on an emergency tax code (ie 20% flat rate) but can claim back tax if you come in under the above limits (including any other income you may have in the UK - investments etc).

hope this helps... back to the cabernet-shiraz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: