Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

St. Francis Xavier School in Pakkret
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rexbex

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject: St. Francis Xavier School in Pakkret Reply with quote

if you're referring to the nun:

yes, indeed, i have and others have claimed to have done so.

there are several avenues both domestic (thailand) and foreign (france) for pursuing action to rid her, but each has asked for other witnesses to step forward and present their own evidence.

that she is still in a position of responsibility testifies to her value as a wage-slave and punching-bag--difficult to replace.

the church is in need of personnel at all levels.

that she is unchallenged by her current staff testifies to their weakness--everyone i ran across during my time there not only acknowledges the problems but even warns the new comers of what's in store.
roywebcafe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: latest news St Francis Xavier Reply with quote

An agency based in Pakret has managed to recruit teachers on work experience and installed them at St Francis. These have no experience IMA. And possibly no TEFL? One particular intern was dragged to a barbers to have his hair cut and had to pay for it himself. The agency is run by a fat cat who is clearly getting fatter. Free accomodation first month is a basic white walled room. and at 3300 there after. A fully furnished apartment would only cost around 4k. anyone leaving the agency before a year has to pay back the first months rent only free if you stay 1 year. I do wonder if this experience will be more counter productive for the teachers long term.
rexbex

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject: stfx Reply with quote

yes, there are some unique employment situations at stfx�but then these exist throughout the industry at lower-end institutions. the two persons i know of to be placed through the organization mentioned were dubious: one told us that she had spent lots of time traveling throughout europe�day trips here and there then back to the isles. a mule? right-o! asked us not to divulge that her degree in theatre arts was incomplete.

which reminds me: apparently persistence is effective. after some time and effort corresponding with church offices in thailand, the philipines and europe, there have been very positive signs that others at stfx have indeed filed similar reports about the nun, that the abuses are being investigated.

what a relief!

look out! stfx is actively recruiting right now ... .
Eagle Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nun whom you refer to is a survivor of sorts...she will not go...she'll be there for life... she has a life position at Saint Francis Xavier School! Rolling Eyes
rexbex

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject: stfx Reply with quote

well, well

a former classmate now working as a lay lawyer in the field of canon law has informed otherwise: every clergy will go where assigned. some orders allow dialogue, some do not. in cases of serious neglect or abuse, little leniency is shown

nothing against the nun (or un-nun) per se, but wouldn't want to be within 10 solar systems on her judgement day.

glad to point out that the topic all, or at least most of us, have been addressing is the school.

my part in this is to let others know, protect the students and those expats considering joining the staff
Eagle Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand your point...the problem is this nun has been at SFXS for decades...and I can tell you for a fact she will not go...unfortunately!
rexbex

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: stfx Reply with quote

i didn;t find thai education all that redeeming, but was deeply impressed by the character and work of most thai teachers. i found that most were very patient and willing to assist me with questions when needed. they earned approximately 1/3 of an nes' salary, always carried themselves professionally. i think that they were often under extreme pressure from parents and administration in that they could be replaced for the slightest wrong or challenge to authority.

again, i didn;t stay long enough in the country to experience many different facets of society, so my impressions are limited. prior to my time there, i actively read of, and conversed with, those with experience there.

if the office of the bishop or above removes patronage--with or without the consent of the immediate superior--that individual cannot perform church related duties within the diocese.
beth_hodgkins

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAve things there improved? I'm considering a replacement position beginning in a few weeks or so, and wonder what it's like there. Anything, Anyone ?
Hermosillo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pakret kind of sucks...unless it is more than 45 or 50, I would run. Do they require a degree? There is often a good reason why the job ope ed up...usually the re recruiter will lie about it. Money talks; bullshiite walks....
beth_hodgkins

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the post, but does anyone have up to date information? Yes, for the position available to me, a degree is required. It seems however that not all the teachers have one. Anyone else know?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: