Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Consequences
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
woz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject: Consequences Reply with quote

...if I break my contract.

I have been in Asia for 5 years now, never broken a contract once and nor did I intend to...

Recently one of the companies I work for has been extracting the urine a tad. Basically, I have prepared lots of lesson plans, curriculums, schedules and so on, FOC. I have all the work I did on disk. Over 40 - 50 hours on the computer over a 4 - 5 month period.

This was not part of the contract. Muggins here was stupid enough to agree to it when they asked. Eventually I put my foot down and told them they should provide a curriculum. It is business level English after all.

I had a couple of classes cancelled 'on the day' in November and now they do not want to pay me for them ( excuses like, "we are very sorry and we will ask the student not to do it again" Laughing ), if a class is cancelled 'on the day', you get paid, if you get prior notice the day before, you don't. That's fair enough.

It does not however state this in the contract. This was a verbal agreement on the day of signing the contract.

In my contract it states that if I terminate the contract, I am liable for a cash fine. I know this is illegal as I have seen a similar thing in a previous post. If someone could point me to that thread, I would be grateful.

So any ideas? I think I should go to the labour board and see what my rights are. I would much prefer to get out of this company as they are incompetent.
womblingfree

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: Consequences Reply with quote

woz wrote:
...if I break my contract.

My attitude is usually, if the company you work for are messing you around and showing you little or no respect you owe them nothing and can walk out whenever you like.

Consequences of this are usually nothing whatsoever as long as you have another job to go to. And the contracts that eikaiwa and ALT companies draw up usually aren't worth the paper they're written on.

I wouldn't bother with a labour board unless you're a lifer that's been there for years and have a family. Just get another job and hand in your resignation after your last pay-cheque.
wayne432

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be able to find it in the FAQs and if not, a search might do it.

I had a similar situation before. When I told my old company that I wanted to leave early, they threatened the penalty fee (ie taking it out of my final month salary). I told them that that was illegal and that I wouldn't pay it, and offered documentation.

They claimed ignorance and said that they would have to check with their lawyer, etc. I told them, I'd give them 2 weeks (I gave them long notice before leaving), but that if they didn't tell me by then, I would go to the labor office. After a week, they came back and said that they realized it wasn't fair and would pay me in full.

In short terms, you can tell them it's illegal and maybe show proof. But if they still play dumb after that, you can tell them that you'll contact the labor office (maybe even together with them) to check. They'll eventually have to cave.
Pitarou

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The General Union has a good FAQ about this (http://www.generalunion.org/law/lsl#S3):

To summarise:

If you give "proper notice" and the company doesn't pay wages owed, it's relatively easy to claim your money back at the Labour Standards Office.

If you don't give proper notice, the company can claim damages, but they have to take you to court to do this. This is very rare.

If you are on a 1 year contract, "proper notice" means "whatever the contract says". After the first year it's 2 weeks.
Shonai Ben

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my case I gave 2 weeks notice on a one year contract.....finished on the day I said I would and walked away.........to never look back.

Rule # 1.......always look after you first so walk away if that's the best option........
Glenski

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.jil.go.jp/english/laborinfo/library/documents/llj_law1-rev.pdf

(Ban on Predetermined Indemnity)
Article 16. An employer shall not make a contract
which fixes in advance either a sum payable to the employer
for breach of contract or an amount of indemnity for
damages.

(Restrictions on Sanction Provisions)
Article 91. In the event that the rules of employment
provide for a decrease in wages as a sanction to a worker,
the amount of decrease for a single occasion shall not exceed
50 percent of the daily average wage, and also the total
amount of decrease shall not exceed 10 percent of the total
wages for a single pay period.

Since they did not clearly put in the contract the details of paying you on the day of cancellation, perhaps they are also voiding the contract due to this article:
(Clear Indication of Working Conditions)
Article 15. In concluding a labor contract, the
employer shall clearly indicate the wages, working hours
and other working conditions to the worker.

(Contract Violating This Act)
Article 13. A labor contract which provides for
working conditions which do not meet the standards of this
Act shall be invalid with regard to such portions. In such a
case the portions which have become invalid shall be
governed by the standards provided in this Act.
woz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the useful information guys. I gave my notice of 3 weeks, my contract is only a six month one and it states in it I must give 2 months notice ( on a six month contract Shocked ), so we will see how it plays out.

The contract finishes in about 6 weeks anyways. TBH I think it would be safer to quit as of now and see how the cards fall.

If I have to go to court then so be it.
womblingfree

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woz wrote:

For what? Quitting your job?? Do that whenever you like.

Chances of a company saying they'll sue you: 50/50

Chances of them actually doing this: 1,000,000/1

Chances of any court taking it seriously: 0

Wink
Glenski

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woz wrote:
Thanks for the useful information guys. I gave my notice of 3 weeks, my contract is only a six month one and it states in it I must give 2 months notice ( on a six month contract Shocked ), so we will see how it plays out.
They only have to give you a month's notice. Think about it.

What you're hearing here is sufficient. Leave. They won't do anything. The country is so full of teachers, many desperate, that they'll replace you in a week.
Pitarou

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting that link, Glesnki. What an excellent resource!

Do you have any more links like that up your sleeve? Maybe you should get them added to the FAQ?
Hot-Carl

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woz wrote:

The contract finishes in about 6 weeks anyways. TBH I think it would be safer to quit as of now and see how the cards fall.

Sounds like Shane or someone similar.
Pitarou

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, something like that (although I think Shane do 12 month contracts).
sarahrempe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: worse consequences Reply with quote

heya, about 4 years ago, feeling quite depressed and stressed, i did a runner when i was a teacher in central japan with a well-known eigawa-school.

my question: if a potential employer/school contacted the ministry of immigration about a new work visa, will the ministry give them the contact info of my old school (such that the new school would or might call and find out why i left after 6 mos)??

any info or advice would be appreciated. cheers.
Apsara

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I very much doubt it. Immigration have a job to get done, and they are only interested in doing things that are part of that job, which doesn't include giving out your past employment information to future employees. Providing you didn't violate the conditions of your visa last time and all your paperwork is in order this time, I'd say you have nothing to worry about from Immigration. That's all they are interested in.
Glenski

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that they will not get the info from immigration. If they are so inclined to know why your previous job was so short, they might contact the employer directly. Hard to say, but I don't think they would even do that.

Some big eikaiwas refuse to hire people if they cancel contracts early from certain other eikaiwas, though. If you've already been hired, that's moot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: