Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seeking hotel recommendations for Christmas weekend

View previous topic :: View next topic  
davester13

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Seeking hotel recommendations for Christmas weekend Reply with quote

Hello,

I teach in KSA. A friend and I are planning a trip to Bahrain for Christmas and Christmas Eve (Thursday and Friday). We are looking for hotel recommendations from those who know Bahrain well. We are interested in visiting a few good bars and night clubs, and therefore would like to be close to some good entertainment hot spots, including perhaps a cinema. Also, we would like to be fairly close to some cultural points of interest, such as museums, markets, etc. My understanding is that each hotel has its own bar and night club, but are some better----livelier----than others? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
PattyFlipper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sort of quality and price range are you looking for? 5 star? Or below? Exhibition Road is pretty good for entertainment in that there are a number of hotels with their attendant hostelries in different price ranges. Lots of independent restaurants too, and a fairly central location. However the only culture you are likely to find there is that which you might find at the bottom of a petri dish.

For markets and shopping, you could try the hotels near the Bab Al Bahrain or even those in the Suk itself (if you are feeling adventurous). Personally, I like Mansouri Mansions in Adliya which also has several decent outlets (I particularly like the Wine Bar on the ground floor). Last time I was in Bahrain the fundies were trying to force the independent restaurants in that area to either relocate or go dry, so perhaps wait for a resident to come along with updated information. The cinema complexes are located in the large shopping malls - just outside the central area.

Manama is small and compact enough that getting from one area to another shouldn't be much of a hassle, as long as you avoid the rush-hour traffic.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch out for the larcenous taxi drivers. I usually stay in the central area around the Bab Al Bahrain. Most places are then in walking distance. When going to the cinemas at Seef or Dana Malls I usually take a taxi. The pick-ups are more reasonable than the passenger cabs who have been spoiled by a whole generation of US servicemen agreeing to inflated prices !

On my next visit I am trying the GULF PEARL which will be for me a new experience. Last time I stayed in the Dilmun. Gulf Gate Hotel is also good. Bahrain International is okay but a bit downmarket. The infamous TYLOS which was not much more than a bawdy-house - was closed last month - for good, let's hope !

Budget travellers and members of the 500 Club can use the Youth Hostel or the Mission for British Merchant Seamen. In December the westher is not really suitable for sleeping out. Even in Bahrain.

Last edited by scot47 on Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:51 am; edited 1 time in total
norwalkesl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Budget travellers and members of the 500 Club can use the

This British reference needs explication for those of us stateside. I gather by context that this "500 Club" or "200 Club" refers to someone who is parsimonious? Or does it refer to an automatic monthly savings club of 200 pounds? Or to something else entirely?

My Google searches are turning up nothing.
PattyFlipper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

norwalkesl wrote:
scot47 wrote:
Budget travellers and members of the 500 Club can use the

This British reference needs explication for those of us stateside. I gather by context that this "500 Club" or "200 Club" refers to someone who is parsimonious? Or does it refer to an automatic monthly savings club of 200 pounds? Or to something else entirely?

My Google searches are turning up nothing.

Not an exclusively 'British' reference at all. The terms are used by expats in Saudi to classify those who endevour to live on SR 500 or SR 200 a month. Unfortunately, many of these joyless individuals are able to achieve their objective by sponging off the generosity of their less parsimonious colleagues (and by purloining the teabags and toilet paper from the workplace).

I endorse Scott's comments about Bahraini taxi drivers. They are supposed to use their meters, but very few of them can be cajoled into doing so. Bargain like an Arab woman in the fish suk BEFORE you get in, if you wish to avoid being scalped; and if you do find an honest one, get his mobile number so you can phone him to pick you up. Avoid like the plague the stationary ones loitering around hotels and shopping malls. I also agree that the pickup drivers are usually less larcenous, but you will still need to bargain.
svatopluk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just stayed at the Gulf Pearl and would reccomend it, if only for the Belorussian dancing chicks on the 1st floor. Also has a christmas tree in the lobby and friendly staff. 30BD but make sure you get breakfast or they'll try and charge you.

Good location too, plenty of bars, although Diggers is dodgy as hell and last weekend we walked in to the aftermath of a wild west punch up, thanks to that well-known equation british builders+all day boozing = fighting.

There are new London cabs in town and I got a good rate and a guided tour in one.
davester13

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies.

The Gulf Pearl sounds interesting, as do a few others recommended. And, yes, my friend and I are looking to do things on the (relatively) cheap, though we wouldn't mind paying a little more for a place that's worth it.

Is the Gulf Pearl near the Bab Al Bahrain or central area? My friend and I like the idea of walking to a few bars, not just staying at one, and so this Gulf Pearl sounds like it fits the bill.

Also, what would be a good price for a taxi ride to most places around town, such as, for example, one of the cinemas?
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gulf Pearl is central near City Centre Hotel and Bahrain International, ie in Bab Al Bahrain area. Taxi from this area to Seef Mall or Dana Mall orobably 4 BD. Maybe 5 BD.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Bahrain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: