Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tax time in Taiwan

View previous topic :: View next topic  
misterno

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:16 am    Post subject: Tax time in Taiwan Reply with quote

Hi y'all.

Been here for 9 months, and with 2003 over, I'm wondering: When is it going to be tax return time? I paid 20% for the whole time (June to December) and made less than 370K$ for the 6 months I worked, so I know I should expect about 13% back.

Anyway, I'm sure not to be the only one concerned, so I thought I'd post the following.

1) When is the earliest time one can start filling up forms?

2) Where do we find those forms?

3) Do we get T4s like in Canada, from boss and landlord?

4) What is the earliest one can expect getting his return? I dunno yet if I'll be going back to Canada or not come July, so...

That's it for now. Press Start.

misterno in tainan.
brian

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Tax time in Taiwan Reply with quote

misterno wrote:
I paid 20% for the whole time (June to December) and made less than 370K$ for the 6 months I worked, so I know I should expect about 13% back.

Provided that you made the 183 day cutoff you will be entitled to a partial refund. This 183 day period is calculated according to the entry and exit stamps in your passport so check to make sure that the count is right. If you went home for Christmas or spent any other time out of the the country before December 31st, this time out of the country will be deducted from the count.

misterno wrote:
1) When is the earliest time one can start filling up forms?

Locals can only file their returns between May 1st and 31st. Foreigners are given an extended time to do our returns. We are able to lodge our returns between January 1st and May 31st. So feel free to drop by any time now. It is a good idea to get in before May as this is obviously a busy time for the tax authorities. And don't leave it too late or you could get penalized.

misterno wrote:
2) Where do we find those forms?

The forms are all available at the Tax Office nearest you. They are in English and Chinese. You will need your passport, ARC, employment contract, and bank account details.

misterno wrote:
3) Do we get T4s like in Canada, from boss and landlord?

Your employer should have already given you the paperwork. You best chase this up with them. It used to be a yellow 'Tax Witholding Statement' but is now just a computer generated printout listing how much you earned and how much tax you have paid.

misterno wrote:
4) What is the earliest one can expect getting his return? I dunno yet if I'll be going back to Canada or not come July, so...

You can get either a standard return or a quick return. Best go for the standard one if you can as there are some restrictions on the quick return. The standard takes about two weeks to a month for the refund to arrive from my recollections.
Pop Fly

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprise, surprise!!!! Kojen is acting as if no one has ever left their employ before and claiming they have no idea where my tax forms are. They are so transparent in their childishness. So, Brian or anyone else....what recourse do I have? Can the Taiwanese equivilent of the IRS intercede on my behalf to force these clowns to give up the paperwork? I really don't want to expend any negative energy on this, but d*#m, Kojen sux. And as for one apple not being indicative of the entire barrell....this director of #4 kids has been with that school for 13 years....that a company allows such a person to be in such a position indicates to me that the entire barrell smells.
Fortigurn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey 'Fly, why aren't you at Wall Street? Shocked
Pop Fly

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortigurn wrote:

Taxes go back a year young Fortunato.....I still have 3 months at...... hack spit cough hack hack..... to account for.......
Fortigurn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pop Fly wrote:
Fortigurn wrote:

Taxes go back a year young Fortunato.....I still have 3 months at...... hack spit cough hack hack..... to account for.......

Oh man, I feel such a fool! Embarassed
brian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you do have recourse and the tax office in Taipei will help. This is the personal experience that I had with them, and for exactly the same reasons.

You will need to take along your contract showing your period of employment, salary, and hopefully some clause in your contract that refers to Kojen deducting taxes from your wages in compliance with Taiwan Tax law. Also take along your pay slips, which will hopefully show how much you were paid and how much was deducted for tax.

Be warned that the tax office may run a check on your past tax activity so be wary if things are not squeaky clean in this department. Provided all is in order they will call the school, and believe me when they say that they are pretty tough cookies. They will scare your school into compliance.

As a side note, I heard another report from someone, about Kojen doing exactly what they did to your friend in stuffing him around with a release letter. It is beyond me why they would do this, and it is more than likely an imbecile in the office that will hopefully find another job soon. Either way, teachers going for a chain school might be better off with Hess or Joy or the like.

Good luck with your taxes!!
Aristotle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way to avoid the never ending tax threat is not to pay them at all and work as a business oriented tourist.
Anyone with a visitors visa is not required to pay any taxes unless the duration of that persons visit is over 90 consecutive days.
Simply tell your employer that you will pay your own taxes and not to deduct them from your pay. Get a multiple Entry visa for business purposes and make visa runs every couple of months. If you employer refuses find another employer that will oblige you.
Good Luck,
A.
brian

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again Aristotles advice would mean that you would be working illegally, and immorally. Why shouldn't you, as a working resident of this country, pay taxes here.

The fact is that to be legally employed in a school you will need to have a one year contract with them and an ARC with the schools name on it. If you are working on the business visa that Aristotle refers to then you cannot get an ARC and would therefore be deported working in contravention to your visa conditions. This is just as illegal as working on a tourist or student visa, it is just that the business visa helps you to prolong your time here.

It is an option, but in my advice Aristotle should make it clearer in his posts that his advice constitutes illegal work. On one hand he is saying that teachers in kindergartens should be taking an extended vacation out of Taiwan to avoid possible school raids, and on the other hand recommending that people guarantee that they will get themselves deported by suggesting that they work at a school on a business visa.

What sorts of schools employ these illegal teachers? Just the sort of school that you don't want to work at as an illegal employee. These are the people that get deported.
Aristotle

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This is just as illegal as working on a tourist or student visa, it is just that the business visa helps you to prolong your time here.

Business people don't get deported. So long as Taiwan continues to be governed by business oriented gangsters, any and all business people are given a free pass. Foreign investment is the bread and butter of Taiwan's economy. Corruption and influence determine nearly every decision made by R.O.C. government officials.
Business people on Taiwan receive the closest thing to real human rights of any foreigners here.
Welcome to Taiwan,
A.
brian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aristotle wrote:
Business people don't get deported.

A person on a business visa who is working in a school full time is not a business person. They are a teacher working illegally. Of course they would be deported and their visa cancelled if they were caught working at a school illegally.

Legal teachers need not worry about the visa runs, fears of being deported etc. Is there really any reason not to be legal?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: