Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sekolah High Scope Indonesia TB Simatupang
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Housie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:36 am    Post subject: Sekolah High Scope Indonesia TB Simatupang Reply with quote

Does anyone have any information about this place? Pay, conditions etc?
spunkmonkey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: x Reply with quote

I am also curious as they have been advertising a lot recently.
spunkmonkey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: x Reply with quote

I am also curious as they have been advertising a lot recently.
Zorobabel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pay is fairly low compared to most national plus schools, at least from the offer I was given a couple of years ago, but it is still reasonable. From what I've read, they do not provide housing assistance. I don't know about the working conditions, but anyone who has driven on the southern stretch of the outer ring road knows that the school itself looks very modern and nice.
travelNteach

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why not apply? i am sure they will be happy to inform u of their benefits package.
bule_boy69

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone ever get any info on this lot?

ta
malu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a look around their senior high school when I accompanied some students to an event there. The place looks well-equipped and they certainly have plenty of financial backing but their staff turnover is fairly high - I imagine in large part due to poor salary. The school I work for invariably gets applications from H/S teachers every time we advertise a vacancy and our salaries are not excessive.
bule_boy69

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Malu...

Anyone got any idea how poor we are talking here? I will ask them myself at some point, but forewarned etc...

Cheers
extradross

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salaries at this school ain't really the problem-16-18 mill for 1st year which is 'mid-range'.. What is a problem is the lack of an 'upfront' housing payout. Yeah they provide a 'housing allowance' built into the 16-18 mill salary, but it's paid 'by the month' not in advance-causes problems in the area of South jakarta if A] you don't have a house already, B] you don't want to pay excessive amount for a kost. And why can't they keep the teachers?[Indonesian and expat.] Maybe more at issue here than merely the salary! As in any case like this, SIS being the obvious example, ask to talk to those who are there about conditions/workload etc before you commit....
bule_boy69

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

extradross wrote:
And why can't they keep the teachers?[Indonesian and expat.] Maybe more at issue here than merely the salary! As in any case like this, SIS being the obvious example, ask to talk to those who are there about conditions/workload etc before you commit....

Yes, maybe there is more to it than money. However so far I have only heard money and lack of housing mentioned in any criticism. Anyone got any other ideas? By the way, I'm curious to know how people know that there is in fact a high staff turnover there. I have noticed they have advertised a couple of times here in the last year true....but do you know something I don't?

Talk to people working there? Good idea!

But what about people on this forum? So far I don't think I've read anything by anyone who actually has worked there. Not that I don't appreciate the input from those who haven't of course.

Thanks again
aku_tonpa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have worked there, albeit a few years ago.

I found the workload quite heavy. I worked from 7:00 until 16:00. During that time, I was with the students from 7:30 until 11:20 and from 13:00 to 15:15. There were no set course books, so the I had to find the resources. That meant, during the window from 11:20 and 13:00, I was always looking for resources. However, that is not always possible as you were encouraged to be with the students during lunch (12:00 - 13:00). Also there were many meetings after school plus your responsibilities for the many events held (treasurer, secretary e.t.c.). I found that a lot of my free time went towards finding resources. You have to note that you cannot just print of pages to give the students. It is an active learning environment and you have to find resources that accommodate the various multiple intelligences. Personally it was too much for me. I wouldn't knock the school though. If you can handle that kind of workload, then go for it. You will learn a lot.
malu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

extradross wrote:
Salaries at this school ain't really the problem-16-18 mill for 1st year which is 'mid-range'..

For S Jakarta that is the low end of 'mid-range'. I think that plus the high workload mentioned by another poster probably explains the number of escapees. Probably not a bad school, but why endure that sort of workload for that kind of reward?
extradross

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the previous employee's comments [Indonesian employee I believe?] should give out enough warning signs- truth is this school hasn't got a curriculum/syllabus such as IB or IGCSE for it's older level students-so I can only imagine the nightmare of development that it's teachers must go through.....
sherlock

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

extradross wrote:
Salaries at this school ain't really the problem-16-18 mill for 1st year which is 'mid-range'.. What is a problem is the lack of an 'upfront' housing payout. Yeah they provide a 'housing allowance' built into the 16-18 mill salary, but it's paid 'by the month' not in advance-causes problems in the area of South jakarta if A] you don't have a house already, B] you don't want to pay excessive amount for a kost. And why can't they keep the teachers?[Indonesian and expat.] Maybe more at issue here than merely the salary! As in any case like this, SIS being the obvious example, ask to talk to those who are there about conditions/workload etc before you commit....

You mean, you had to actually be a teacher?

Finding resources and planning lessons is, at least at every school I have worked at, a normal part of the job. And the hours that you mention are quite common for proper schools (not language mills)

Is it possible that the abundance of language mill jobs has diluted our perception of a full days work?
malu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think his point, Sherlock, was that he didn't get the time to prep lessons. Not having a core text around which to build your own resources and lesson planning makes life difficult, too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: