Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visa

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sweetazzz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Visa Reply with quote

I'm moving to Rio in two months to teach English and I'm working on getting a visa. Which type do I get, tourist visa? The consulate says they need an itinerary with the date I will return to the U.S.A. I don't know exactly when I'll be returning to the U.S. for a visit. Any ideas on how to handle the "when I'll be returning" part of the itinerary/visa? Am I able to get another type of visa where they don't need the return date? Do I tell them I'm moving to Brazil without a job and they give me the tourist visa anyway?
Thanks,
Jason
icehockey23

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless your employer is offering you a work visa, which you would have before arriving in Brazil, you are married to a Brazilian, you are a diplomat or are getting a student visa you will be coming on a tourist visa

If you come on a tourist visa - it is good for 3 months. It used to be that after that 3 months you could go to the Federal Police and extend it for another 3 months but Im not sure if this is true anymore. After this you are supposed to leave.

It is near impossible to change your visa status from tourist to another visa (work or student) once you are here (unless you marry a Brazilian)

I think (although not 100% certain) you are going to have to get a return ticket anyway in order to get a tourist visa.

Dont tell them you plan on working - as a tourist visa is for the purpose of being a tourist.

Many people overstay their visa and this is a choice that is up to you. I have heard that recently the Fed police have become stricter at airports (you need to pay a fine for everyday you overstay) but not necessarily at land border crossings
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Brazil All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: