Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Custody Case
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear tiptronic,

Ah well, once religious rules (the rules of ANY religion) enter in, then sometimes reason (including the "age of reason") goes out the window.

I can't feel much sympathy for the mother, who should have known what she was getting herself into.

On the other hand, if she truly was "duped" by a lie into letting her son visit the supposedly "sick grandmother," well, I can't say I approve of the that, either.

Or does the end justify the means? Most religions, I believe, would say it doesn't.

Regards,
John
7atetan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tiptronic wrote:
[...]Did she teach her about Islam? No[...]
This boy will learn to practice Islam from his responsible uncle, not from fox news. [...]

You see, it's people like you with attitude like yours who have turned me from being a liberal into an almost (neo-)conservative. You are vindicating Bush's assertion that we are witnessing, and are indeed involved in, a clash of civilizations.

He's right: I have nothing in common with an individual who thinks along the lines expressed above.

It's very depressing, really.
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear 7atetan,

"He's right: I have nothing in common with an individual who thinks along the lines expressed above.

Sorry - like it or not, you share a common humanity. And guess what - we humans (including, of course, me) aren't always right about everything, even when we think we are.

That's why tolerance, not clashes, is preferable. In those clashes you write of, well, you can kill those who disagree with you, but you're not going to change their beliefs - just as they're not going to change yours.

Regards,
John
7atetan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

7atetan wrote:
scot47 wrote:
I find it difficult to understand why people expect me to get riled about this.

Ditto. There have been SOOOOOO many highly publicized cases of Western women marrying Middle Eastern men, only to find their kids and/or themselves kidnapped once things turn sour.

I'm sure the mother is going thru an emotional hell but, forgive me, she should have known better.

Case in point:
http://www.abigmessage.com/saudi-arabia-when-male-guardianship-is-abused.html/comment-page-1

I worked at the same university as this woman and knew her relatively well. She was quite pleasant but, boy, did she make some major mistakes...
Vanica

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The US is a little but not too much different with regards to custody.

According to U.S. law, the best interests of the child are to be served, and the best interests are presumed to be joint custody between the father and the mother.

50-50 custody prevents a woman from leaving by keeping her, through her children, bound to the biological father, even if he has never shown any interest in the children previously. Its intention is preserve the family, even if the family doesn't want to be preserved. There is also no child support from the father to the mother if there is 50-50 custody.
Vanica

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Jennifer Birrell case, it seems like Mohammed Nagi is the one being punished. He got the 200 lashes and has spent nearly two years in jail.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still puzzled. Why should anyone expect me to waste my sympathies on this person ?
Sleepwalker

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still amazed that Western women marry Gulf Arabs and have children, and, when the marriage ends, don't get out of the Gulf. She was free and clear but chose to remain.

I am also dumbfounded that she signed an Arabic document without adding 'without understanding' after her signature.

Most of all, I can't understand why this woman went to Qatar - were alarm bells not sounding? It's common knowledge that an Arab family will always try to gain custody of the children.

I'm sorry for any child separated from parents but this is such a common story that I can't really feel sorry for the mother.
chaiplz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Custody Case Reply with quote

lollaerd wrote:

Rebecca Jones, who brought her son Adam to Qatar to visit his elderly grandmother, 77 year-old Miriam al-Juma, claims she was duped into signing Arabic documents which she was told were related to Adam�s inheritance but were actually pertaining to a custody case.

She seriously just signed papers she didn't read that pertained to her son? Really? I can understand 'fine print' but it really is common sense.

Personally I don't agree with the situation, but I'm not a Qatari culture guru and therefore couldn't understand the full extent of the reasoning behind being this manipulative. I've heard that the children typically 'belong' to the arab families in these sorts of cases (is this the reason?), but it still seems cruel to do to a child.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Islam, the children belong to the father. If the father dies, normally his family will take the kids... especially if the wife isn't Arab and/or Muslim.

This is in general and exceptions can be made due to marriage contracts and family relationships.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Bahrain All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: