Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Work in Cebu City (Philippines) ???? Help please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Philippines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rico4444

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:59 am    Post subject: Work in Cebu City (Philippines) ???? Help please Reply with quote

I've been an ESL teacher for about 8 years with a CELTA and uni degree. I've worked in the States, Thailand, and Korea. Now I'm thinking about Cebu City in the Philipines. Can you help:

1) Is there an abundance of work? or any work? I realize I'd be competing with Filipinos who will work for much less wages but is ther work for me?
2) Average salary in a language school?
3) Uni job possible without a Master's?
4) Adult teaching available....no kids?

Thanks for your time.
Happy New Year,
Gerry
roym

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I've tried Cebu and it's practically impossible to find work. There are a number of schools but mainly Korean owned and Filipinos are used to teach and paid a pittance. Ironic that people wishing to learn English are taught by 'non native speakers'.
I know of an online school there and the owner says his pupils want to learn American accent English...there too, the tutors are Filipino...figure that out.
Have seriously thought about setting up my own school but not fully looked into the implications.
Let me know if you have any success..good luck!
rico4444

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:07 am    Post subject: Cebu City Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Roym. You simply confirmed what I already believed to be the case. It might have been a nice change of pace from Korea but I think now I may stay here for the "big bucks" or maybe consider Vietnam.

Good luck and thanks again
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Philippines All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: