Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What ever happened to the best man for the job.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JZer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tudodude wrote:
Nice replies.
Keep it realistic. We are talking TEFL in Thailand, not unqualified doctors and not even PGCE teachers at that, and such other examples thrown around.

Keep in realistic. Much of the research done on the effectiveness of triained teachers has shown mixed results. Thus I am not sure if there is a strong arguement that a trained teach is better.

But that would be comparing someone with a B.A. and a B.A. plus PGCE. Not a junior high graduate with someone with a B.A. and PGCE.
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin Trullinger wrote:
I understand the OP's frustration. And I'm certainly not saying that an unrelated degree makes you a better teacher.

I wonder, though, what message the degreeless teacher sends to students. Maybe "you all need to get educated- I have no such need."

Dedicating your life to educating others without educating yourself seems...inappropriate.

I have hired a number of teachers without degrees- provided that they had considerable alternative education.

But being a teacher simply without a decent level of education doesn't sit well with me.

Best,
Justin

Perhaps the message is this:

In today's competitive world, you'd better get the best and as much education as you can possibly get or you could well wind up

teaching foreign languages like me. Embarassed
JZer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some waygug-in wrote:
Justin Trullinger wrote:
I understand the OP's frustration. And I'm certainly not saying that an unrelated degree makes you a better teacher.

I wonder, though, what message the degreeless teacher sends to students. Maybe "you all need to get educated- I have no such need."

Dedicating your life to educating others without educating yourself seems...inappropriate.

I have hired a number of teachers without degrees- provided that they had considerable alternative education.

But being a teacher simply without a decent level of education doesn't sit well with me.

Best,
Justin

Perhaps the message is this:

In today's competitive world, you'd better get the best and as much education as you can possibly get or you could well wind up

teaching foreign languages like me. Embarassed

Maybe that is the practical way. But often it is just arrogance by the people who hold that said qualification.

I plan to apply this year for alternative certification in the US and teach in the US for a few years. That is not because I believe it will make me a better teacher but because I want the papers.

In every job there are skills that cannot be taught in a classroom. Some people with less or no formal education can do as well if not better. One can no all the methods for teaching students but that does not mean that they can necessarily motivate students and make them interested in the subject.

No university class or degree will teach one to engage their students.
Molson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the point about a degree shows someone put the time into learn, and IMO teaching and learning are linked. How much you learn on your own cannot be measured, thus employers use a degree (and your transcripts) as a measure of what you have learned.

For those ESL backpackers out there without a degree, get used to the fact that in the future you could be out of a job, or all the good jobs will go to those who have a degree.

It is sort of like NA back in the day you could work without a degree and it was the best man for the job. The job market got competitive and thus the introduction of qualifications such as holding at least a BA came into play.

To those without degrees, what job do you think you could get at home.
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A degree doesn't mean you can teach any better than someone with none, but employers want degree holders more and more because they have to sell you and your teaching skills to prospective students.
Confused
Prospective students tend to be attracted to teachers with more credentials and certificates.

Not saying this is right, it's just the way things are heading.
gaijinalways

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I like the point about a degree shows someone put the time into learn, and IMO teaching and learning are linked. How much you learn on your own cannot be measured, thus employers use a degree (and your transcripts) as a measure of what you have learned.

This is very true..

Quote:
One can know all the methods for teaching students but that does not mean that they can necessarily motivate students and make them interested in the subject.

Very true too, a teacher needs education and some sense of how to deal with and motivate people to learn. For almost all jobs, a combination of knowledge of theory and practical job related skills make the best package.
Justin Trullinger

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Depends on the class, doesn't it? Motivation isn't witchcraft- how to motivate certainly can be learned.

A real methodology course, with practicum, is clearly going to include elements of how to see if students are motivated, and make adjustments in order to maximize engagement.

Quote:

Maybe that is the practical way. But often it is just arrogance by the people who hold that said qualification.

I plan to apply this year for alternative certification in the US and teach in the US for a few years. That is not because I believe it will make me a better teacher but because I want the papers.

Cool- congrats on heading for more training. Might I suggest that, since you're going to put time and effort into this, that you go ahead and improve as a teacher while you're at it?

There's nothing stopping you, and you tend to get out of things what you put into them.

Best,
Justin
JZer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Yes, it is true that one cannot measure what one learns on your own but I don't know that have a degree really measures a lot either.
Molson

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JZer wrote:
Quote:

Yes, it is true that one cannot measure what one learns on your own but I don't know that have a degree really measures a lot either.

This is why I mentioned transcripts. There is a world of difference between the success I had with my first degree and my second degree. If future employers were to look at my grades from my first degree and equate that to teaching ability, I would have been screwed. At the same time, if they did that with my second degree, they might think I am better than I actually am.

Grades reflect effort and skill with time management and the responsibility of a full course load. Both of these are qualities I believe those who teach need to be able to handle.
jdl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should one who has invested time and effort into a quality formal and experiential education apologize for the dividends forthcoming?

The market place will make the final determination in any case. The market place seems to be saying, "Get the education and we will give you the experience if you are serious. In addition we expect you to 'upgrade' yourself as experience and need dictate. In fact we may even pay you to develop your professional skills."

Those who have the most marketable education and verifiable superior experience will usually be availed of the better jobs and able to navigate the plateaus within an organization. Education and experience are most valued in the form of action; so it may be an individual responsibility to make the most of each.

Underpaid? unemployed? unsatisfied? What part of one's education or experience may be lacking?
rusmeister

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdl wrote:
Should one who has invested time and effort into a quality formal and experiential education apologize for the dividends forthcoming?

The market place will make the final determination in any case. The market place seems to be saying, "Get the education and we will give you the experience if you are serious. In addition we expect you to 'upgrade' yourself as experience and need dictate. In fact we may even pay you to develop your professional skills."

Those who have the most marketable education and verifiable superior experience will usually be availed of the better jobs and able to navigate the plateaus within an organization. Education and experience are most valued in the form of action; so it may be an individual responsibility to make the most of each.

Underpaid? unemployed? unsatisfied? What part of one's education or experience may be lacking?

The answer seems obvious to me.

An education means far more than merely learning some narrow and specialized skill so we can go to work for other people, who merely happen to be richer than we are. It really should mean learning what the nature of man is and what his purpose in life is, so that we can make decisions (about what to do, who to be...) that correspond to that reality. For example, if I come to the conclusion that a global banking corporation is an institution that ultimately works to impoverish most in order to enrich the few owners, then I would not work for it, however impoverished I might feel myself. But I would not likely even come to that conclusion unless I had a developed and thought-out philosophy of my own. And that is the trouble with modern education - it deliberately excludes philosophy and treats it as something elite, rather than something for everyone - the reasons and bases on which we conduct our existence.

In short, an education without a definite philosophy is no education at all, and the man in the street with no diploma who HAS thought about these questions is better educated than the man (who attended an institution) who hasn't.

Just as an afterthought, Gatto correctly pointed out that before the Industrial Revolution, people in the US were largely expected to create their OWN "workplace". The best "job" is to work for yourself, to offer something that other people don't have and really do want (aside from subsistence). It's better to have a hundred clients than one employer. It's probably best of all to have neither, but that's a philosophical question - determining what is good before you go on to determining what is best (as any grammar teacher with any experience in teaching the degrees of adjectives ought to be able to tell you - grammar as a reflection of reality).
jdl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusmeister,

Here is something on 'small business' in America you may find interesting.

http://bestbizpractices.org/2009/07/14/america-runs-on-small-business/

Seems that people in the US still do turn their education to creating their own work and workplace. I guess we just don't hear as much about the individual as we do about 'the companies too big to fail'

Can't believe all we hear on FOX/CNN/BBC/etc. I guess?

Gatto does have some legitimate concerns about the role of public education as a feed mill for whichever corporate identity; however, a little international perspective may highlight the rather egalitarian nature of North American Education. Perhaps too much of the soul and character of humanity has been taken out of the classroom, since what is knowledge without a soul? But as you say that is another discussion.

At any rate perhaps the 'best person for the job' is one who has navigated the halls of education, learned what can be learned and used this as a tool to create meaningful experience not just for himself but for his community/society/tribe/fellow man. The value of education and the experience of life is what one does with it.

Also found the following on Gatto....an interesting interview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ogCc8ObiwQ
rusmeister

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdl wrote:

At any rate perhaps the 'best person for the job' is one who has navigated the halls of education, learned what can be learned and used this as a tool to create meaningful experience not just for himself but for his community/society/tribe/fellow man. The value of education and the experience of life is what one does with it.

Also found the following on Gatto....an interesting interview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ogCc8ObiwQ

Thanks, jdl! (And while it wasn't news to me, I did find the Gatto link interesting.)

My thoughts on the business link are that it seems rather to miss the end-run of the whole premise of capitalism - that, big or small, the tendency is to devolve to as few owners of capital as possible, or to put it more baldly, in the end, in the words of the immortals from the movie "Highlander": "There can be only one." And these businesses do not operate in a vacuum. Things like lobbying, for example, work in favor of the big organizations to buy "representatives" and establish laws that favor them, and so small business again tends to lose out.

On "navigating the halls of education": If Gatto is right (speaking about public education), and I, from personal experience, believe that he is, then 'navigating those halls' is, on the whole, a narrowing, rather than a broadening, experience. (I think the financial bases of public higher education have worked to some degree to make this less so, but some principles of institutional learning are universal.) Private education, of course, varies to a greater degree.

PS - I have found that the same principles apply not only to North American education, but all across the western world, and are now spreading across Russia, too. The Prussian model has been adopted by all because it does produce a product that is beneficial for large states and empires, even though it is detrimental to the individual.
jdl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusmeister,

It is an interesting paradox that the goal of free enterprize endeavors is the creation of monopolies; but perhaps that is just the nature of 'isms'.

You and I share differing views on publicly funded education. I see it is an attempt at equalizing access and little more. The content of education and the quality of that content is a matter for the consumer/client/user/stakeholder to determine. Therein lies the complication since given so many users and often competing stakes, a discussion of the content, and in content I include process, becomes very complex and political in nature. As in most political discourses 'smaller is better' in that smaller groups can usually design something which suits the needs of the group whereas larger groups tend to have discussions which are vote based or lobby influenced and result in descisions which are not consensus in nature, leaving a large minority of the stakeholders dissatisfied and under served.

It has been my experience that public education in the spirit of the 'little red school house' provides great opportunity for inclusion. This is more a function of the process of governance of the school by stakeholders than anything else.

It is often quoted that the colt was the great equalizer in the American west, where even the weakest could compete; I tend to view public education as such, perhaps a poor comparison but the one that comes to mind.

As a result of my views on the value of public education I have opted in, as did my parents and their parents before them. Public education has served my community well for the most part; but again the community was always vigilant that it did.

Now having said all that, there are problems. These, I have found, can be solved most effectively at a local level with discussion, tolerance and when ideas and solutions as well as concerns are brought to the discussion. Problems do arise when one tries to impose 'what is right' upon other members in the community.

If I had to sum it all up; size is important with smaller schools closely knit to the community, providing service to that community, being most effective.

Just some ramblings .......... hopefully not a diatribe.

But I fear I have strayed a long way off the path of the original topic. Apologies.
JZer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It has been my experience that public education in the spirit of the 'little red school house' provides great opportunity for inclusion. This is more a function of the process of governance of the school by stakeholders than anything else.

It is often quoted that the colt was the great equalizer in the American west, where even the weakest could compete; I tend to view public education as such, perhaps a poor comparison but the one that comes to mind.

Are you sure of that? I would say that education just trains people, besides the exceptional who would probably have succeed anyway, to meet the needs of governments and factories. A developed country like Switzerland, South Korea, Japan, etc needs to develop skilled workers in the predominate industries in the nation. Education for the most part provides countries with workers who are skilled enough to work in the industries that have been developed. In many countries companies such as Simens, Sony, DuPont donate lost of money to universities to make sure skilled workers are developed to meet their needs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: