Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

University of Bahrain and Bahrain Polytechnic.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gulfedout

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:58 am    Post subject: University of Bahrain and Bahrain Polytechnic. Reply with quote

Not wishing to pour cold water over anyone who is planning to apply to either of these Bahrain institutions, but I think it is only right that people should be warned of the situation and make decisions with the information they have. I know in the past I would've appreciated being better informed when looking for work in the GCC.

Bahrain is in crisis at the moment, as you may well know. The education system is highly politisised and any 'reform projects' are on a back burner. You will be working for the regime in both organisations, the EDB doesn't have anything to do with the Poly anymore, both the Uni and the Poly are under the directive of the Ministry of Education, the government.

First of all, University of Bahrain. Please, if you really don't have to apply there, don't. You won't even make a great salary working there compared to other GCC Unis. Out of the two organisations, the University was the least 'expat friendly', even before all the troubles. Have a look here and decide for yourself:

http://bahrainrights.hopto.org/en/node/4862

Mike (MOD edit for full name) was one of the most respected and committed expat professors working in the place.

The Poly used to be a good place to work. It was the Crown Prince's education reform 'baby'. It was independent from the Ministry of Education which is a good thing plus it was run by some seriously dedicated people. That has all changed. The dedicated have either left, been sacked or have been put in their place. These days it is a department of the Ministry of Education. Before applying please read these testimonies of former employees. These people do not have an axe to grind, they were some of the best and most devoted tutors working there.

http://tonydmitchell.wordpress.com/2011/12/04/hello-world/

http://janryan.me/2011/12/11/bahrain-uprising-part-1-the-pearl-and-the-hospita
PillyLilly

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:23 pm    Post subject: Bahrain Polytechnic Reply with quote

Hi

I agree with much of gulfedout's post. Student dismissals were definitely orchestrated by the Ministry of Education.

If you are in Bahrain, then you are brave indeed, gulfedout. Finding out that the government has the technology to look at people's online media put a stop to most online comments.

Just wanted to point out that there are still dedicated staff and management at Bahrain Polytechnic, although they are probably feeling very, very uncomfortable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Bahrain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: