Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tesol Online course, is it worth it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
monnymite

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Tesol Online course, is it worth it? Reply with quote

Hi,

I am debating whether to do an online TESOL course, I have stumbled across this one http://www.linguaedge.com/tesol-certificate-100-hours It is accredited and have seen good reviews on the net from people who have done it... I know teaching experience is in the class room, which I have some experience in Korea.

The reason why I want to do a TESOL is that the majority of jobs I see advertised require a teaching qualification. I applied for a job, they directed me to get a teaching quali and pointed me in the direction of online courses etc.. So i'm guessing it's not the standard of qualification, it's just that you have a qualification!? Am I right in thinking this? I accept that their are far better courses such as CELTA, but if they only require the bare minimum and with it being lower cost, that's why I am keen on doing the online course.

Just wouldnt mind getting thoughts and opinions on this, before I take the plunge!

Thanking you

Monnymite!
nickpellatt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The accreditation this type of course offers isnt worth the paper its written on. Its unlikely to be acceptable to lots of genuine, reputable employers...although this may not include employers in China. An employer here in China may direct you towards it...but it may not be recognised elsewhere.

So there is its only value really. If you are offered a job with someone on the condition you take the qualification, it might be worth it...otherwise, I would say not.

I did similar and took an online qualification a few years ago...solely for a job in China, and then discovered my housemate had no qualification at all, yet was still employed. Worse still, when I went for other jobs it was worse than useless, which meant I had to take the plunge and do a Trinity anyway. with hindsight, I should have just done the Trinity first, and saved the money I wasted on the online course.
SnoopBot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of the online courses are worth it. That goes for online degree programs in areas like Education. The key to an ESL/TESOL cert is the supervised teaching portion. Getting an online cert would not even come close to that supervised practicum certification.

The TESOL certification for most Master's degree programs have a 6-month full time TESOL evaluation in a supervised classroom setting. Many programs then require ESOL Praxis exam testing in that subject area leading to teaching certification.

As you can see any online course would not be on-par with those in the big league. The top paying positions often go to those in that league.

Now, to take an online program for self improvement is an OK idea, anything that can improve your teaching ability is a worthy endeavor. However, to get an online cert in the hope that you can secure a better paying position leading to teaching certification it's better to do it the traditional way.

Those top positions in China have Western ESL experts screening the candidates, they know which certs are legit and actually make phone calls to universities to check graduation and transcript accuracy.

Right now, the USA is experiencing a massive certified teacher layoff, many of them are looking to travel and teach. It would not surprise me if China decides to place more stringent teaching requirements upon FT's.

Right now the turn-over rates are very high and only a few of the top universities are starting to require a verified master's degree in Education with TESOL certification + 2-years experience.

I expect it to get harder for some FT's in China or wanting to teach in China because of the huge influx of certified B.Ed certified unemployed teachers.
monnymite

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, i do accept that it doesn't carry a lot of weight, just seems like any Tesol is ok, I dont mind not being in a top paying position. Just wanna get to China asap.. if the Tesol helps I think it's worth doing.. don't think it will hurt doing it.
SnoopBot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

monnymite wrote:
Yeah, i do accept that it doesn't carry a lot of weight, just seems like any Tesol is ok, I dont mind not being in a top paying position. Just wanna get to China asap.. if the Tesol helps I think it's worth doing.. don't think it will hurt doing it.

It will give you the theory behind Second Language Acquisition and various schools of thought about language learning including linguistics. That knowledge can be useful as a teacher.

So, in that sense it's not a waste. I've seen only a few requirements for a ESL cert in China concerning jobs. Most general purpose jobs just want a degree and often they don't even check or care what subject it is in. Those requirements are set by the Chinese government for a FE certificate /Z-visa.

Institutions that accept applicants without a degree either submit a fake degree or have guanxi connections in the local government. However, good universities in places like Beijing are starting to check credentials now.

So the most important thing is to have a degree and transcripts to get a general purpose entry level job in China. Getting a ESL cert is not required for 99% of those General Purpose entry level positions.

Now, that all could change soon though.

A pissing contest is starting between various governments and the Chinese government over political issues. That could and often leads to more stringent visa and qualifications for Western FT's.
nickpellatt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnoopBot wrote:

It will give you the theory behind Second Language Acquisition and various schools of thought about language learning including linguistics. That knowledge can be useful as a teacher.

Whilst I would agree that anything that offers self improvement is good...its unlikely the online cert would offer the above. Those kind of programs certainly weren't part of my online course....and in honesty, the 50+ hour one I took, was actually more like 8-10 hours of work. I would imagine a 100 hour course would be completed in something like 20 hours.

Not enough time to even introduce genuine learning. And thats why they are worthless....everyone pretty much knows how useless they are, and so they are rarely recognised. You can still learn theories behind language acquistion and linguistics via online courses, but normally from University courses that require 16 hours a week study for 9 months ... which is basically what the modules of my BA covered.

OP - Spend the money instead on some decent books, and learn and self improve that way, or put the money toward a course that will actually be useful, both personally and professionally.
LiliM

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Complete waste of time and money. It's not worth much and a year down the line you'll just end up signing up for a CELTA course anyway. Better to just skip it and go straight for the CELTA. Also, the CELTA course will actually make you a better teacher. You'll be exposed to techniques and teaching methodologies you've never even heard of before and, if you pick a good course, it can be very useful for developing contacts later on. They are very dear but well worth the money if you have it.
monnymite

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the thing, I have not got the money to do a CELTA, hence why the online course is so attractive. I have some teaching experience and a BA, but again TESOL keeps cropping up on job adverts. The job I went for, just said get an online TESOL/TEFL and get back to us...no point doing a CELTA if all they require is an online course.

Just fancy doing China, I may not necessarily want to carry on teaching in the future. Although it is something I want to do again, and see how much I like it.
LiliM

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well in that case, yeah go for it and have fun in China Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: