Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting a work permit

View previous topic :: View next topic  
emmajanesmith

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:49 pm    Post subject: Getting a work permit Reply with quote

Hi all,

Ok, if I want to work in Turkey legally I need to aquire a work permit in advance. In order to get the work permit I need to get a job.

I'm not sure that I can afford a job hunt visit and I don't feel comfortable about accepting a job without seeing the place of employment first. What am I to do?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

M
gelin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, depending on your qualifications, you can attend an international job fair where private schools go to recruit teachers.
emmajanesmith

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gelin wrote:
Well, depending on your qualifications, you can attend an international job fair where private schools go to recruit teachers.

Qualifications: I have a BSc Hons degree (not English but Sport Sciences...so not particularly relevant) and I will be doing a CELTA course in July or August.

I have been following a range of sources for jobs but I've not seen ads for job fairs. Can you suggest where I might find out about them in the UK.

One other thing. Can someone please confirm the kind of schools/places I can teach with my current qualifications (BSc Hons + CELTA), from what I've read I can rule out schools(lises) as I would need a teaching qualification, like a B.Ed or PGCE.

Thanks,
M
FGT

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can work at a language school with those qualifications (post-CELTA).
Language scools are unlikely to recruit at a job fair.
You might be able to get short term employment at a summer school in Turkey prior to CELTA completion and could then shop around for long term positions, get an offer, return to UK to do CELTA and process the visa at the same time.
Good luck.
gelin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to agree with FGT.
emmajanesmith

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FGT wrote:
You can work at a language school with those qualifications (post-CELTA).
Language scools are unlikely to recruit at a job fair.
You might be able to get short term employment at a summer school in Turkey prior to CELTA completion and could then shop around for long term positions, get an offer, return to UK to do CELTA and process the visa at the same time.
Good luck.

Thanks guys.

I'd love to head out over the summer but it just isn't feasible. I'm tying up loose ends here, saving money and working incredibly hard. I may be able to visit briefly late July or late August to try and secure a job. July would be best I think, more time to process that application.

When you talk about language schools you're referring to Dershanes right? I've read a selction of mixed reviews depending on the school, I guess it's just a matter of being selective, informed and thorough before accepting a position. But overall, they seem to be a good starting place for me. I would appreciate your recommendations for reasonable dershanes at this point in time, if you have any.

What are my options beyond Dershanes once i have a year of experience behind me? What about Universities? Would I need a Masters degree?

Cheers,

M
FGT

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a city preference? We can probably narrow your field if you narrow ours.

In Izmir, English Academy is the best language school. English West has some remnants of being OK. Video English is not the worst, but.....

I happen to work at English Academy. Call me prejudiced if you like but why have I stayed at the same school for 6 years? Why did I move to English Academy from English Fast? Why are there teachers at Academy that have been there even longer than me?

If you want to work in another city, I can probably find out. Let me/us know. Good luck.
yaramaz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FGT, I was wondering (if you have time) if you could PM me about your school and life in Izmir. I'm checking out other options in Turkey, as you know. I assume that Izmir isn't as surreally conservative and fanatically materialistic as Kayseri (a perk) but how is your standard of living, both socially/personally and financially? Dos the school hire year round? Any info would be appreciated.
emmajanesmith

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FGT wrote:
Do you have a city preference? We can probably narrow your field if you narrow ours.

In Izmir, English Academy is the best language school. English West has some remnants of being OK. Video English is not the worst, but.....

I happen to work at English Academy. Call me prejudiced if you like but why have I stayed at the same school for 6 years? Why did I move to English Academy from English Fast? Why are there teachers at Academy that have been there even longer than me?

If you want to work in another city, I can probably find out. Let me/us know. Good luck.

Thanks FGT,

If I was to narrow the field I would say I have a preference towards Istanbul, Izmir and possibly Antalya.

My current plan is to fly to Istanbul and look there first, simply because it will give me a chance to acclimatise to Turkey without full-on culture shock. I must admit though, I do have a preference to be close to the Aegean, an area so beautiful and close to my heart, although I've only experienced it from the Greek side.

I checked out the website for English Academy, and I was impressed by what I saw. Would a place as highly regarded as English Academy take on an inexperienced teacher? (wishful thinking Laughing )

Cheers,

M
FGT

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

English Academy has no vacancies at present. There may be opportunities in the summer or, more likely, autumn. We usually take a mix of experienced and inexperienced. It's always worth a try!
emmajanesmith

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FGT - thank you, I think I will contact English Academy after I finish the CELTA course in the Summer.

You've been a great help.

Emma
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: