Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A few questions about teaching in Egypt
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
justcolleen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justcolleen wrote:

Even Schutz doesn't REQUIRE a teaching degree. Don't believe me? Read their policy manual (as I have).

Here's the proof:

http://www.schutzboard.org/main/min1/42/163/P4.010%20Teaching%20Staff%20Qualifications%20(05-01-2004)%2020080929T110335.pdf

The Board requires that the teaching staff have, in order of preference, either:
1. A minimum of a BA or BS degree (or an equivalent degree) in an appropriate
field and a teaching credential or equivalent certificate.
2. Or appropriate experience in the field if circumstances warrant.

Is certification required? One would think that if the Egyptian government required it, Schutz would require it in their qualification policy - BUT THEY DON'T BECAUSE IT'S NOT REQUIRED.
Tripitaka100

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, you can 'work' in Egypt with next to no qualifications, but to secure a good job in a decent school and a legal work permit, you need a degree and at least 3 years 'teaching' experience. (not necessarily to ESL students) A TEFL/TESOL/CELTA/DELTA SHOULD get you a better salary still.

In my experience it depends on the quality of life you want and school you want to work in.
It varies enormously.

I wonder if I was also a colleague with Yosra (think so Wink So we know how it helps to have your eyes and options open when negotiating employment there. Shocked Wink
Tripitaka100

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

** Sorry I meant to say no formal TEACHING qualification, but you do need a descent degree.
justcolleen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tripitaka100 wrote:
True, you can 'work' in Egypt with next to no qualifications, but to secure a good job in a decent school and a legal work permit, you need a degree and at least 3 years 'teaching' experience. (not necessarily to ESL students) A TEFL/TESOL/CELTA/DELTA SHOULD get you a better salary still.

A degree and experience has nothing to do with a work permit, at least before the revolution.

I repeat: NOTHING.

When things are sorted out a bit more, the Ministry of Education may change things up and require educated teachers, but that remains to be seen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: