Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ministry of Labor: Big changes in the works

View previous topic :: View next topic  
justcolleen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:38 am    Post subject: Ministry of Labor: Big changes in the works Reply with quote

A large force behind the revolution was unemployment. In response to that, the Ministry of Labor will stop issuing work permits "for jobs that can be done by locals."

First, they will stop issuing work permits to foreigners:

http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent/3/12/7539/Business/Economy/Egypts-labour-minister-to-stop-issuing-work-permit.aspx

Next, if an Egyptian can be trained to do the same job within six months, the job will have to go to the Egyptian:

http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent/3/12/7625/Business/Economy/Egypt-labor-ministry-tackles-unemployment,-minimum.aspx
DELB1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think this really applies to EFL teachers? I mean, most EFL positions require teachers to be native english speakers. That's not something that an Egyptian can be trained to do.
justcolleen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DELB1 wrote:
Do you think this really applies to EFL teachers? I mean, most EFL positions require teachers to be native english speakers. That's not something that an Egyptian can be trained to do.

I believe there are a significant amount of Egyptians quite capable of doing the work native speakers have been doing and it will have a significant impact, primarily on people with no university education and a four week TEFL certificate teaching American Literature to 12th grade students. You can bet that job will go to an Egyptian that graduated from a Faculty of Education, English Division first. Also, the "New Egypt" is all about no more corruption among government officials, and promising to fully prosecute those who do it, so there will be no more paying off the Ministry of Education with carbon paper and staplers to overlook the foreign worker lacking a work permit.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DELB1 wrote:

This is absolutely untrue!! I would say that the vast majority of EFL teachers around the world are definitely NOT native speakers. And many, if not most, of them are not only qualified to teach English, but very likely do a much better job than many of the native speaker teachers... who rattle around the world teaching English with limited educations in the field... and think they know what they are doing only because they are native speakers.

VS
justcolleen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
DELB1 wrote:

This is absolutely untrue!! I would say that the vast majority of EFL teachers around the world are definitely NOT native speakers. And many, if not most, of them are not only qualified to teach English, but very likely do a much better job than many of the native speaker teachers... who rattle around the world teaching English with limited educations in the field... and think they know what they are doing only because they are native speakers.

VS

Where's the "Like" button?
Cairoteach

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be interesting to see what happens in this area.

Some native speaking English teachers simply don�t have the formal education or even the intrinsic skills to be an effective teacher. Some even use poor grammar on a daily basis. Many non-native speakers make excellent teachers.

For myself, my first priority is to learn from a skilled native speaker. I see this as the ideal situation and I think many others do as well. Non-native speakers sometimes miss the subtleties of the language and, maybe, are less credible with cultural references.

I can�t imagine Egypt will stop granting visas to non-Egyptian language teachers. They may limit them, better enforce them, and attach requirements to them.
Yosra

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: No Work Visas Reply with quote

Asalamu Alaykom,

I think this new ruling will benefit those of us who are currently living and working in Egypt. Obviously, parents would rather have their child learn an accent from a Native Speaker. Schools which promote an American or British style of education would rather have qualified teachers from those countries. So, regardless if the Ministry thinks the jobs could go to an Egyptian, I don't think the better schools will have the jobs go to Egyptians. I think those of us left playing "Survivor" will get a chance to advance our careers because we'll be in demand. Hey, we deserve something for sticking it out through this tough time.
justcolleen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: No Work Visas Reply with quote

Yosra wrote:
Asalamu Alaykom,

I think this new ruling will benefit those of us who are currently living and working in Egypt. Obviously, parents would rather have their child learn an accent from a Native Speaker. Schools which promote an American or British style of education would rather have qualified teachers from those countries. So, regardless if the Ministry thinks the jobs could go to an Egyptian, I don't think the better schools will have the jobs go to Egyptians. I think those of us left playing "Survivor" will get a chance to advance our careers because we'll be in demand. Hey, we deserve something for sticking it out through this tough time.

Yosra, let us know how your work permit for the next academic year works out because it may not be as easy as this year.

You do have a work permit, don't you?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: