Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are Americans who can secure work permits in demand?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jon_maggie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:03 am    Post subject: Are Americans who can secure work permits in demand? Reply with quote

Greetings all,

My wife is an EU national (Irish) and I'm an American. Will that expedite my obtaining an Italian work permit? We're both TESOL certified. I was told that Americans who can secure work permits are in demand, but the majority of job listings require EU nationals. What's the real story?

Thanks!

Jon
Caroline

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 4:57 am    Post subject: You may need to apply for Irish passport first Reply with quote

I am an American teaching in Italy. I was able to easily get my work documents here because I also hold an Irish passport (not through marriage, but through my grandparents).

It's possible that you may also be eligible for an Irish passport. You should contact the nearest Irish Consulate or do an internet search for their websites.

The problem is that you will probably need to get the passport first. Then the paperwork will be easier. I don't think it will be enough to say to your prospective Italian employer - "But you see, I think I'm eligible for Irish citizenship.."

If you could get the Irish passport, you could probably find a job here. I think there is some demand for American teachers in Italy (to do TOEFL courses for example, or just to make the staff a bit more international).
jon_maggie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Caroline, for the feedback. It's appreciated! I feel much more optomistic about finding teaching opportunities.

Just as you suggested, I'm right in the middle of applying for my Irish passport, but there's a six month processing time. In the meantime I've downloaded Italian visa paperwork, which seems to indicate that if you're married to an EU national, the application is greatly simplified.

The reason I posted the question was that I'd heard from a TESOL director that Americans are in demand, trailed by the Brits and the Irish. I found this a bit surprising and it seems to clash with the job postings.

But it's good to know there's hope.

Regards,

Jon
jud

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm another American teaching here in Italy (going on 3 years now). I went through hoops and connections to get my permission to stay. I'm separated from a German, and understood that the only way my marital status would help would be if I moved here with my partner and they applied for my permission. My status did help in that I was able get my Italian work visa in Germany rather than in America.

If you can get an Irish passport, you should have a surefire means of entry.

Many postings specify EU because it's so difficult for Americans (and their prospective employers) to get work permits in Italy. But a lot of employers are happy to have us, especially schools run by Americans (yes, they do exist).

Good luck.
daily chai

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 4:48 am    Post subject: EU spouses working in Italy Reply with quote

Hi to all those fellow Americans with EU spouses! Have a look at this link. http://www.pwcglobal.com/Extweb/service.nsf/docid/9E01D9A6B485B02ACA256B3D001762AB

Price Waterhouse says spouses of EU citizens don't need work permits to work. You apply as a dependent on your spouse's Stay Permit application.

HTH!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: