Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Difficult to get a job with Hess?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pisces

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: Difficult to get a job with Hess? Reply with quote

Hi,
I am interested in working as an ESL teacher in Taiwan, as I have personal reasons for going there. I applied to Hess but was told that I would be placed on the waitlist as there were "...many, many very qualified applicants." I meet all the basic qualifications (university degree, US passport, native speaker) and I also have prior teaching experience as well. However, I did mention that I was half Taiwanese in both my telephone interiview and my application. Although I don't really look "Asian" ( most people are surprised when I reveal that my mother was born and raised in Taiwan), I am wondering if this aspect of my heritage is the real reason why I was rejected from Hess, or if there were perhaps other factors. As I am browsing through other peoples' posts, I am wondering if I would be better off looking for a job once I arrive in Taiwan? Any advice will be appreciated.
brian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that you have hit the nail on the head with the fact that you are part Taiwanese. There is definitely a preference for teachers that can fit a certain mould here in Taiwan. As Hess is obviously the most visible school when it comes to recruiting, it stands to reason that they would receive more choice of applicants. They are therefore hoping not to have to use you, and hope that some other applicants that fit the mould will come after you. Sorry about that.

My advice would be to keep your name on their �waiting list�, and then get out there and see if you can get some job offers from other schools. You mention that you don�t look Asian, so I wouldn�t mention this to them. Let them judge you on your CV, the fact that you meet their requirements, and your appearance by way of the inevitable picture that you will have to send. Find a few jobs that sound like what you are after, and that sound interested in you, and then arrange a time to interview with them when you arrive. Don�t commit to anything before you get here. Just interview when you get here and make a decision from there. You should have no trouble finding a good job.

Finally, when Hess calls you back because they really need you, let them know that you have found a job with a great school thanks very much, but that you will keep them in mind if you are looking for a job this time next year!
Aristotle

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless your desperate don't work for a chain school. Many chain schools including Hess will blacklist you if you try to find a better job, they also offer the lowest possible pay on the island.
If you are applying from the US file a complaint with the American Civil Liberties Union. Hess has large assets in the US and as such is subject to US civil rights codes and liability. Just record your telephone call.
Please read this.
http://www.geocities.com/taiwanteacher2002/Success.html
Good luck
A.
matchstick_man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually chain schools are a freat place to start as most have lesson plans already written and a set curriculum. Things that can be very intimidating at first for the inexperienced teacher. Hell, after three years I still sometimes wonder whow the hell do I spen an hour doing that?
brian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aristotle wrote:
Unless your desperate don't work for a chain school. Many chain schools including Hess will blacklist you if you try to find a better job, they also offer the lowest possible pay on the island.

Actually neither of these claims are factual.

If you break your contract prematurely and do a runner without giving notice then there is a pretty good chance that you will be blacklisted. This stands to reason, and is the likely course of action for any school that get's treated in this way by a teacher.

Give notice of your intention to leave and you are almost guaranteeing that you won't be blacklisted. I doubt that the school will make it particularly easy for you to leave, and you would probably be best to give up on the idea of securing a release letter. Take a trip out of the country and come back in on a new visa. In my experience it is the small schools which are more likely to blacklist teachers out of spite. The chains don't tend to take things so personally, and generally have other staff that can smooth your absence over.

Chains are known for the highest pay rates on the island, but balanced with the training and support that they offer, they are a good place for newbies to start. The lowest paying schools are actually some of the little ones, as they can only offer a handful of hours a week. What's the point of earning NTD700 an hour if you can only get 5 or 6 hours a week. Next in line would be some of the salary positions that offer NTD50,000-60,000 per month for a 40 hour week. Work out the hourly rate on that and you will see how good NTD550 per hour from a chain looks!!!
Aristotle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Give notice of your intention to leave and you are almost guaranteeing that you won't be blacklisted. I doubt that the school will make it particularly easy for you to leave, and you would probably be best to give up on the idea of securing a release letter. Take a trip out of the country and come back in on a new visa. In my experience it is the small schools which are more likely to blacklist teachers out of spite. The chains don't tend to take things so personally, and generally have other staff that can smooth your absence over.

I strongly recommend you do not give notice before you quit. You will not only find yourself blacklisted but unpaid as well.
Welcome to Taiwan,
A.
Mozilla

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I strongly recommend you do not give notice before you quit. You will not only find yourself blacklisted but unpaid as well.
Welcome to Taiwan,

Wow. This is the first time I have disagreed with Aristotle!! I've got a friend that recently quit Hess, she gave one month's notice and the 20,000NT fine for breaking the contract was waived.
brian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that most chains doin fact respect teachers who give notice, even if they are breaking their contract prematurey. They recognize that to penalize those that give notice in the same way that they punish those that just up and run away, is encouraging teachers to do the latter. It most certainly isn't a blanket rule for every school but I think that it is a good guide to follow. Provided that you do all of this you can always pursue the employer through the right avenues for the payment of any outstanding monies. If you simply up and run away you would be hard pressed to find anyone that would assist you.
TaoyuanSteve

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a deposit you want back, then giving some notice is a good way to get it back. I would suggest a lie, though. Anything to do with an ailing relative back home is good. I don't think telling the truth about wanting another job is very wise. Most people lie, and these lies are accepted, even if everyone knows the truth.
Aristotle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Wow. This is the first time I have disagreed with Aristotle!! I've got a friend that recently quit Hess, she gave one month's notice and the 20,000NT fine for breaking the contract was waived.

That is good news.

Please PM me the details.
Thanks,
A.
brian

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't uncommon for people to get their 'deposits' (for want of a better word), back from chain schools provided that they are reasonable in their leaving. In fact this is the norm. Those that don't get all their money back tend to be those that do something wrong by the school or runaway.
jason_seeburn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Difficult to get a job with Hess? Reply with quote

J.

Last edited by jason_seeburn on Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aristotle

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Work deposits are illegal and anyone with verifiable proof of a school taking one from their pay please contact me ASAP.
The majority of Schools that take work deposits do it for one reason that is theft. The head office doesn't have a clue and the manager will make your life miserable so that they can pocket it.
Rest assured we at SSETT are very effectual in these matters.
A.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: