Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

QU Rating Scale

View previous topic :: View next topic  
robotboy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: QU Rating Scale Reply with quote

Currently employed QUF staff:
On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate the following:

Housing:
Parking:
Housing Maintenance:
Annual Leave:
Perks:
Bonuses:
Salary:

Workload:
Program:
Teaching Hours:
Office Hours:
Success:
Foundation Program:

Staff
Senior Staff:
Head:
Assistant Head:
Co-ordinators:
Clerical Staff:
Support Staff:
Colleagues:

Facilities
Photocopy system:
Materials:
Books:
Curriculum:
Facilities:
College:
Office:
IT facilities:
Classrooms:

Students:

Student Attitudes:
Student Competency:

Much obliged.
wilberforce

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry pal, can't help you here. I did meet a few QU types at Garveys including one really hot little lady but I don't know anything about the place so hopefully someone will answer your questions. Maybe I should do a rating like this for the Gulag.
aspinozist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to hear the answer to robotboy's query as well, if there is
someone out there with that info.
robotboy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lack of replies tells you a whole lot. My feeling, from reading between the lines and what I've read elsewhere is there is very little transparency and probably too much job insecurity. They told me they were recruiting a lot of people. That always signals staff problems. Maybe because of this system of reporting? I don't quite get it. Anyway, I don't need the info now but some people might.
stickleback

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robotboy, this is not a place I would highly recommend unless there is a regime change. Saying that, there are some good people in the administration, but some are deadly.They have a huge budget for recruitment, part of the fire to hire system. They also have a big turnover as people get tired of being dumped on.

From bitter experience I wouldn't give much more than 5 or 6 on your rating scale for most things, especially the curriculum which is under constant revision. In order to keep up appearances, students are placed too high. For the support staff, I'd rate 10 out 10 and for colleagues, apart from the spy network, I'd rate 9. Housing is pretty good so maybe 8 or 9 out of 10. Classrooms are in bad shape in the old buildings but maybe the new building is better from what I hear from people still there. Those rooms are supposed to be state of the art. Offces - not enough for all the teachers but maybe the new building is ready. So if you don't mind a lot of paperwork and monitoring (of teachers, not students), then this is the place to go.

The salary scale definitely needs to be revised. The best part of working there was the teachers, they prop the whole place up and are undervalued and unappreciated. Nobody at the top ever sends them a thank you.
wilberforce

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most places need a regime change. I'd like the Gulag to go back to our old regime with Malachy. Most places have bad administration, usually people who wangled their way out of teaching to sit at a big dest and command the plebs. So what else is new??? It's the way of the industry and believe me TEFL is now an industry not a profession. That's not the way it should be but the way it's going.

The apartment I partied at in that Al Zuhoor compound would rate an 8 with me - Gulag apartments are from 3-6. The lady I met from QU would get a 9/10 from me. Cute, perky and very very. I'd like to meet up with her again. The people I partied with were great so 9/10 for them. Unfortunately my contact there has left so haven't met anyone else recently.
squirk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: QU Rating Scale Reply with quote

robotboy wrote:
Currently employed QUF staff:
On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate the following:

Housing:
Parking:
Housing Maintenance:
Annual Leave:
Perks:
Bonuses:
Salary:

Workload:
Program:
Teaching Hours:
Office Hours:
Success:
Foundation Program:

Staff
Senior Staff:
Head:
Assistant Head:
Co-ordinators:
Clerical Staff:
Support Staff:
Colleagues:

Facilities
Photocopy system:
Materials:
Books:
Curriculum:
Facilities:
College:
Office:
IT facilities:
Classrooms:

Students:

Student Attitudes:
Student Competency:

Much obliged.

Housing: if you're in Zuhoor gets 2/10. If your in Bin Nasser 8/10.
Housing Maintenance: Zuhoor 5/10, Bin Nasser: no idea
Parking: where? On campus it's bad - you usually have to walk 1/4 mile or more to your classroom, only the admin people have it good as they can park in front of the building. Everyone else has to lug books and bags around in the heat. None of the buildings has easy access.
Holidays: very good but heard they are cutting the summer short. they want us to come back in August, hang around for a week or two and then have Eid leave. Madness - just let everybody come back after the Eid. 7/10
Perks: only if you are management or level supervisor, they get more money and hardly teach at all. 2/10
Bonuses: depends on your appraisal, e-portfolio, student evaluations, someone else judging but who judges the judges? seems like an old-boy network. 3/10
Salary: good for inexperienced newbies, bad for experienced newbies
Teaching Hours: 18 Seems OK. 7/10
Office Hours: 4 + 2 + more + community work + committee work plus plus plus plus plus plus (not great) rating 3/10
Facilities: Photocopy: Men's Machine 8/10, Women's Machines - forget it!! Paper supply bad - have to buy your own half the time!!! Everyone is complaining about this problem.
Materials on BB: 7/10
Books: 5/10
Photocopy: Mens 8/10, Women's 4/10
Classrooms: depends - new women's engineering building has great rooms but the rest of the place could do with a major makeover, student desks bad

Staff: No comment!!! Some people need to learn respect not disprespect!
grab-bag

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managers need to learn respect too.
stickleback

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compared to my current job which is 8.5 out of 10, I'd rate it 6 out of 10.
Below expectation.
lollaerd

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea what I'd rate it since I never worked there, but I've never met anyone who is really happy from this place. Then again, maybe I've just never met the happy ones.
wilberforce

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bound to go down with all these people being fired. I heard something absolutely unbelievable last night. They actually have a two page photocopy rule per student per week in this place!!! They want to go paperless!! Well good luck. Learning a language is a hands-on experience, you need to put pen to paper. I can't believe that teachers are banned from photocopying more than two pages per student. I've never heard of such a dumb rule - and this from the richest university in the richest country in the world.

Whatever next!!!! No wonder people who work there are so depressed! How can you teach decently if you can't photocopy worksheets. This is one surefire way to discourage teachers from creating worksheets. My pal said people have to go to photocopy shops to make copies. The students are supposed to make their own copies but do they really think this will work!! What about students who don't have printers? A dumb dumb ruling!! Well maybe they want to save dirhams on paper. Who knows? Maybe the saved money is for trips abroad to recruit???? Who learning also involves using paper!! After all English language teachers don't stand there and give lectures - do they? They are teachers!!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just heard from a friend there and she said that there are only about 5 teachers (out of over a hundred) that she has heard of who have been "not renewed..." and many didn't really surprise her as is the usual case with non-renewals.

The photocopy rule is that teachers get something like 2000 or so a semester and some teachers didn't seem to be aware or didn't keep track of what they were using.

This is not unusual with Middle East universities. I remember at SQU many years ago, they cut our paper supply in half one semester without telling teachers at all. Less than halfway through and we were getting no more. You never saw such scrambling to find paper that we could use the backs. Some of us just bought a few reams on our own.

When I was at AUC, the teachers filed their worksheets at a small copy shop that was located in the same building as the student cafeteria. Students were required to go and pay to have their copies made, and it affected their grades if they didn't show up with the proper papers. It required both teachers and students to be organized... not a bad thing.

VS
wilberforce

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must have plummeted to 3 out of 10. So they also got rid of the computer foundation department presumably because all the students are computer literate. Computer savy maybe - but how many know how to type? Where I am currently working further down in the region, most students know how to skype and social networkinbg but they still only use two fingers to type. I remember the same situation here when I left a couple of years back.
idaho_potato

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would it be rated as now I wonder. This SEC decision to change the medum of intstruction to Arabic is causing a lot of confusion for parents and students. Probably for teachers too.
blastermill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone update this? I only talk to people who've worked or studied there but never actually seen the place You can find disgruntled students at Souk Waqif on weekends. Not to mention twitter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: