Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TEFl in Trujillo

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fox0987

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: TEFl in Trujillo Reply with quote

I know there have been a lot of other threads for this topic, but none I have found have been within the last year.

Just wondering what the TEFL job environment is like in Trujillo right now. Any recommendations on specific schools to contact, or apply to?
NickImpy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to tell you. Don't come. There isn't work. I'm looking in Lima now because Trujillo just doesn't offer much of anything. STAY AWAY! Save yourself some trouble. As an Expat to another don't waste your time. Besides it gets boring really fast.[/quote]
formality.register

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure that I can fully agree with Nick ... but to be sure the place is not exactly brimming with job offers. I came at the beginning of February and now have a job at El Cultural ... with only 3 groups. I saw Nick on the list of interviewees, but he never showed up to the training sessions, so I'm assuming he refused due to the fact that if you're a new hire they make you work weekends. 3 groups nets me enough to live here, and I've been promised a position at another institute in April, so I'll be more than fine.

CID UNT might be an option, but the place seems like a real mess. When I arrived I was told that I could just show up on the first day of classes and maybe receive a job based on how many students sign up. I then returned a couple days before classes began, and was told by a woman who claimed to do the hiring that they hire new teachers for January 6 months in advance (which is obvious, obvious bullshit).

My take away from job hunting here is this: if you have experience, you can find work here, but you need to be REALLY VIGILANT. That is to say, don't listen to what anyone in a big language school says EXCEPT THE DIRECTOR, and don't give up on a language school until you have talked to the director. I know for a fact that if I talked to the director of CID UNT I would most certainly have had a job there, because a guy with less experience got a job there after I had been told it was impossible. Talking to anyone else or giving your resume to anyone else is a waste of time. Never believe that a secretary will do anything with your CV except throw it in the trash (I ended up having to bring multiple CVs to places because they kept getting "lost"). Just ask when you can speak to the director. This goes for CIDUNT, UCV, and UNP (UPAO will only hire you if you are legal) and any other big language school except for El Cultural, which so far has been nothing but professional.

Also, what many people have told me is that English teaching picks up in June/July, so if you're planning on coming then, I wouldn't be surprised if you could snag a job pretty easily.

One last thing. I have absolutely no desire to teach kids. However, if you think you can stomach the little monsters then I guarantee you'll find a job here at one of the many colegios. Almost none of them have native speakers teaching English. Privates pay pretty well too. However, your Spanish has to be pretty high level in order to deal with all the office folks and the directors because I'm sure that few if any speak English (not to mention the nightmare of managing a class of little kids without speaking their native tongue).

Anyway, if you have enough money to job hunt for at least a month and then wait another month for your paycheck, then you should come. If not, then go somewhere else. Oh, and don't even think about trying to apply to places via e-mail. Even if you have 20 years ESL experience, you'll never hear back from anybody.

Should you decide to come here, good luck.

-f/r

P.S. Anyone looking for a place to live in Trujillo? I'm currently open to having a roommate. I'm in a decent place in San Andres on calle mogrovejo (right next to El Cultural, UNT, and Av. Larco). Across the street from the police station. 2 bedrooms and a living room with a laundry area and access to a kitchen. I'm paying S./500 per month, and I'd charge you S./225. However, your bedroom would not be furnished. If yes, hit me up at jsweet (at) elcultural.com.pe
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Nick. It-s tough to meet ends meet, but it can be done if you budget.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Peru All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: