Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Taiwan vs Japan

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nasigoreng

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 3:45 am    Post subject: Taiwan vs Japan Reply with quote

I'm in Taiwan. I don't like it.

The learning methodology (rote memorization-one sentence answers) is crap.

The environment is terrible.

The students are like robots ("I like play com-pu-ta game").

Is Japan any different?
homersimpson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on where you work. Most conversation schools have their own systems, but most would allow you freedom in lesson planning. As for the public schools, especially junior high and high school, you'll probably find a lot of the rote memorization-one sentence answers system in place. As for your robotic concerns, the Japanese are seemingly a country of perpetual medical students (i.e. always sleeply). This seems to start in junior high, when students (and their parents) become preoccupied with the high school entrance test. Despite that, I find the majority of them easy to deal with.
Sunpower

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you won't find a big difference between the way the students act in Japan and the way they act in Taiwan.

Pretty much how you described it in both countries.

The students are trained to be like that in both countries.

Students expect their teachers to have all the answers

Teachers are expected to show students the way for everything, with little or no self-exploration

Teachers in these cultures do not appreciate disagreement which is viewed as trouble-making

Students expect instructors to be brilliant

Teachers are supposed to never lose face in front of the students, for example, a teacher should never say, "I don't know."

No emotions should be displayed in class

Students do not speak to the teacher in class unless called on by the teacher
homersimpson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I agree with much of the above post, the elementary and junior high schools in Japan are not Stalinist Russia. They are not bleak places where students trudge through life (at least not in my experience). The students are always calling out "Sensei!" when they have a question or need help. Japanese classrooms are noisy places, so you can expect a lot of chattering. In general, and I think this was Sunpower's point, the majority of Japanese students will not volunteer the answer, they must be called on by the teacher. However, this depends on the teacher. Classes often reflect the personality of the teacher(s).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: