Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How important is where you live?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
esl_jimi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: How important is where you live? Reply with quote

I've been hearing back about various positions they sound otherwise fine, but they are located in places that seem to get a bad rap, like Linkou, Taoyuan, Banqiao, etc., places that are apparently not very beautiful. But this applies to so many cities in Asia.

Would you settle for living in a place that is aesthetically sub-par in Taiwan? The island is small enough that maybe it doesn't matter--it's so easy to get anywhere for little trips.

Or, do you need to be in a nice city? (And which cities would those be?)
zipper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

Last edited by zipper on Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Hadit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zipper wrote:
Outside the big, polluted and noisy cities you will find bigger and cheaper apartments, more Taiwanese culture; more fireworks, less pubs; just as many KTVs; lots of beetle nut girls; tons of cement trucks; cool temples; mountains, rivers, snakes, lizards, raptors, friendlier kids and people and plenty of bamboo to make flutes.

Wait a minute...raptors are a bad thing! http://nextround.net/2009/04/02/raptor-jesus-and-the-best-of-velociraptor-comedy-on-the-web/
zipper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by zipper on Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:13 am; edited 1 time in total
heidihcb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:43 am    Post subject: Location does matter... BUT... Reply with quote

I'm a firm believer that location does matter. However, every location in Taiwan has something to offer.

I personally lived in Taichung City in the middle of the island. I picked Taichung because I liked the (mostly) sunny weather. However, I fell in love with Taichung because of the vibrant music community that has developed there over the years.

True, it is mostly a foreigner community that consists of small "local" bands. However, I found it really easy to meet other foreigners and my weekends were usually packed with different options.

Of course, I didn't limit myself to hanging out with only foreigners but you really NEED that community at the same time.

Then again, maybe I would have a similar vibe anywhere that I had lived. You tend to find what you're looking for in any place.

I had friends that lived in beautiful places like I'lan who ended up getting terribly bored... And tattered and worn by Typhoons. And I had friends who ended up having a great time in small places like Linkou (mainly b/c of how close Taipei was).

Taiwan really is what you make of it. But if you're a big city person then it's best to stay in the big cities (and vice versa).

Hope this helps.
markcmc

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: How important is where you live? Reply with quote

esl_jimi wrote:
I've been hearing back about various positions they sound otherwise fine, but they are located in places that seem to get a bad rap, like Linkou, Taoyuan, Banqiao, etc., places that are apparently not very beautiful. But this applies to so many cities in Asia.

Would you settle for living in a place that is aesthetically sub-par in Taiwan? The island is small enough that maybe it doesn't matter--it's so easy to get anywhere for little trips.

Or, do you need to be in a nice city? (And which cities would those be?)

Make your own mind up. Really, it depends on what you want. The 3 places you mentioned would give 3 different living experiences. Banqiao is part of Taipei, and on the MRT.

Do you like cities or the countryside? Is nightlife important to you? Think about it and answer your own questions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: