Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Value of TEFL certificates in the US

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VikingElvis

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject: Value of TEFL certificates in the US Reply with quote

I was forewarned that TEFL certs get kind of funny looks if you go to look for jobs in the States, and was wondering what people's experiences were in looking for teaching positions. Any cities have jobs that are willing to employ you with a BA and a TEFL certificate but no MA?
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might find something at a private language school. I found a listing for lots of them here:

http://www.englishinusa.com/

Do keep in mind that these jobs are not particularly well-paid and it may not be easy to find a regular, full-time contract. These jobs aren't always really for someone who needs to totally support him/herself, but provide an OK second income...

but, well - the quals required are minimal and the benefits provided are equally minimal!
VikingElvis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
You might find something at a private language school. I found a listing for lots of them here:

http://www.englishinusa.com/

Do keep in mind that these jobs are not particularly well-paid and it may not be easy to find a regular, full-time contract. These jobs aren't always really for someone who needs to totally support him/herself, but provide an OK second income...

but, well - the quals required are minimal and the benefits provided are equally minimal!

Ah, thanks for the advice. Smile I checked that site out a while back, and noticed that even a lot of the private language schools require a Master's, but are willing to consider lower if you have at least a year experience.

I applied to a two-year college and got a job there part-time. (I have a BA in linguistics and a TEFL cert, but this is my first actual teaching gig.) It admittedly is in a *really* rural location, but pays well and you are often teaching people who are low-income and are massively dedicated - it's a really fulfilling experience.

I was really more curious as to personal experiences people may have had job-hunting with just a TEFL. I don't know if my experience was just a fluke and I can jump to somewhere else in a year or two and have the same thing happen or not.
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, you've got a related BA, and with experience you might find something else - but it sounds like the community college gig you've currently got is a bit of luck. I'd doubt that you would find something equivalent (in terms of decent pay) a second time without more quals.
VikingElvis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Actually, you've got a related BA, and with experience you might find something else - but it sounds like the community college gig you've currently got is a bit of luck. I'd doubt that you would find something equivalent (in terms of decent pay) a second time without more quals.

That's what I'd suspected, but it helps to hear it from someone that's kicked around the field more than I have. I guess it'll be good to get a couple years solid experience in a college... who knows, maybe I can get a DELTA or my MA while I'm here. Means I won't go abroad later with no idea how to teach, at least. Razz

Thanks again for your help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: