Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Information required about TEFL options in Europe
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noosateach

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:54 am    Post subject: Information required about TEFL options in Europe Reply with quote

Hi all, I've been reading all the posts about working in Prague and it seems that there are still opportunities for newbies. I'm trying to investigate all my options prior to paying out for a course if there is no work available. The JCL information seems interesting and I have a health and education background. Would it be worth my time following up on this direction or is it going to be $$$ paid out for not much opportunity??
sarahkunkler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

To be honest, I think the market is tough here....but anything is worth a go. JCL can be a good school to work for, but be sure to check out there visa policy. As for a TEFL course, I would recommend anyone other than ITC, the director of that school is horrible.

Good luck,
Sarah
Praguegirl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently work for JCl and am quite happy there. I get fulltime hours and make enough to live comfortably (but cheaply,) and to travel some. A couple of my friends just got jobs there this past week; they usually hire on a pretty regular basis. Their visa policy is kinda crappy and definitely one of the downfalls. I had a visa already when I started working for them, but they charged me 12,000 crowns to renew it. I will get the majority of that back when I finish my contract, but it still hurts to lose 1500 crowns per paycheck. I believe they are currently charging 18,000 crowns for a new visa, but you will get most of that back if you complete your year long contract.

There are many other schools in Prague that regularly hire newbies as well so if you're persistant you should be able to find a job. Were you thinking of taking a TEFL course in any month in particular? The slow times will be coming up soon so it might be worth your time to wait and take the course in August so that you will be finishing it when schools are hiring for the new semester.

I took my course through TEFL Worldwide and was happy with them, I have no complaints.

Overall I am happy/content with my life in Prague. If you're in it for the money it's not the place for you. I'm in it for the experiences and the lifestyle, and that's what has made it worth it!
smithryansmith

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tefl centres in Praha are fairly interchangable. To be competative they all have to offer a good quality product. If you like one school, youd probably like them all. if you have a problem with one school, youd probably have the same problem with any of the others. If you hear something bad, its either sour grapes or possibly competitors trying to make the other schools look bad. youre probably best off just going for the best price, as saving money at the start is the most important thing.
noosateach

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this information. Was just wondering whether the businesses prefer TEFL training done in country or if I can complete a course here in Oz? Any ideas?
anglicaninpraha

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you are able to teach it doesn't matter really where you took your course. I'd do it in Oz if I were you and then travel to Prague directly for work. It will just be easier for you and you won't spend too much time outside your comfort zone.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree. Taking a course in-country can provide an easier transition to the new country in many ways.

Most training centres provide airport pickup when you arrive and arrange for your housing for the course. You can make friends quickly with other trainees, and trainers and course admin staff can also provide valuable info about the city and some level of social support right away.

Finally, a training centre can provide invaluable info regarding visa processes and reputable employers in the region.
anglicaninpraha

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
I disagree. Taking a course in-country can provide an easier transition to the new country in many ways.

Most training centres provide airport pickup when you arrive and arrange for your housing for the course. You can make friends quickly with other trainees, and trainers and course admin staff can also provide valuable info about the city and some level of social support right away.

Finally, a training centre can provide invaluable info regarding visa processes and reputable employers in the region.

it's a valid point for taking your TEFL in Prague but don't most TEFL schools provide job guidance support anyway? I mean, why not take the TEFL in Oz and then arrive to Prague with the job support service active.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly, no school out of the country will have the level of contacts that a training centre in country has.

It's generally agreed that Prague is a very tight job market these days.

Taking a course in the city will certainly give a prospective candidate more of an edge than one arriving from abroad with nothing more than a reference or two from a training centre abroad.
anglicaninpraha

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Clearly, no school out of the country will have the level of contacts that a training centre in country has.

It's generally agreed that Prague is a very tight job market these days.

Taking a course in the city will certainly give a prospective candidate more of an edge than one arriving from abroad with nothing more than a reference or two from a training centre abroad.

Well, I agree that it is a very tight job market Sad
Oh I see what you are saying now.
Still, I'd probably suggest this person takes it back home.
There is the comfort zone thing but also I know from experience from when I took my TEFL (not in Prague btw), that it's not really until you take the damned thing that you realize what you are getting yourself into and a lot can change in 4 weeks. If this person takes it at home then he or she can see after the course where they would feel happiest teaching English.
Taking it in Prague I think would make it difficult to just pop over to Asia if they weren't too fussed about Prague.
TinSardine

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what you mean, Anglican, but speaking from experience I don't think it makes a difference where people take their TEFL course. The TEFL course is the fun bit (in a very masochistic way).

The first job after the TEFL course is make or break...and Prague can be a pretty tough experience in that respect.
corij

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

because its a tough climate right now, theres money hungry vultures around . be very wary of being railroaded into paying ahead for things without seeing them. promises of lovely accomodation and easy-to-find jobs is NOT what it seems

Last edited by corij on Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:41 am; edited 2 times in total
Sabine11

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I believe they are currently charging 18,000 crowns for a new visa, but you will get most of that back if you complete your year long contract.

So can we just land in CZ and start the visa process once in the country, or is to necessary to start the process from outside?? I'm a Canadian native wanting to come to Prague from Buenos Aires, Argentina sometime next year..

Is it legal to fly over and look for jobs in Prague on a tourist visa, until to you get hired somewhere??

Thanks.
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you automatically get 90 days as a tourist. You'll need an employer to help you start the work visa process. So long as you've got all paperwork filed within the 90 days, you should be ok, even if you're still waiting for the actual documents to be issued.

You may want to time your arrival to give yourself the best chance to do this in time - most job contracts are Sept - June, so a late August arrival is probably safest.
Sabine11

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks.. From B.A.!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: