Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Colombian specific certification??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
New2Colombia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Colombian specific certification?? Reply with quote

An English-teaching Colombian friend of mine told me rumors of a "Colombian teaching certificate" that takes 6 months and about 5 million to obtain, and here in Colombia, it is seen as equivalent to a USA teacher's license for hiring purposes in International Schools.

However, when I spoke to the HR department of a more prestigious language school that I was having a hard time getting hired at, she told me this:

1) There is no such thing as this "Colombian teaching certificate". You need a USA license to teach subjects in High Schools, EVEN in bilingual schools.

2) I only need a TEFL to teach at her school. The reason I wasn't hired is that by hiring me she would be breaking the law, via exceeding her allowed quota of foreign teachers. (I suspect this may be why I can't find a job here in Medellin no matter how much the interviewers "like" me)

Does anyone know the truth of the matter here? Am I going to need to leave Medellin and go back to the USA to get a teaching cert if I want to teach High School Math, or is there another way?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: