Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

500 NT per hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wood

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Not for small children Reply with quote

wood wrote:
refazenda wrote:
You know, it funny you mention that. We have friends from Taiwan, and we asked them about the pollution factor. One of them responded that it is no worse than Manhattan (New York). Well, as a New Yorker, I was somewhat relieved to hear that, as I don't think I've suffered any irrevocable brain damage Smile.

They did mention that Kaoshing (sp?) is worse than other parts of the island, but they said Taipei is not that bad.

Can anyone else comment on the NY-Taiwan pollution comparison?

The air here in Taipei isn't that bad. I find that most people exaggerate exactly how bad it is. No big city compares favorably with a small town. I believe that and I'd say that on some days Taipei is bad and on some days it isn't. I'd venture to say the same about New York, but not having lived there, I can't say so with much authority.

This seems way off-topic, I apologize.

Now, to get back on topic. I haven't had time to review the entire thread but I would say that 500/hr, while not desirable, is acceptable for someone completely new to Taiwan. Having said that, I've been here for three years and while my first job paid something like 500/hr, I haven't even interviewed for anything less than 800/hr since. 500/hr is workable but time will change things and you'll be able to demand more.
refazenda

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:16 pm    Post subject: 500 NT/hr and pollution Reply with quote

Wood:

Thanks for your comments. I think given my qualifications I'll probably want to ask for more than 500/hr.

Your comment on NY is correct; sometimes the air is okay, other times it is simply horrible.
juzstylin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:13 am    Post subject: offered 560NT/hr... Reply with quote

...with HESS. I'm not too sure on whether I should accept this position or not. NOt too sure if this is bottom of the scale or not, even though I have seen a few mention 500NT is about average for starting. My hourly wage would work out to approximately $23CAD/hr, which might take me 5-10 years to get up to in my field of study. I have relatively no teaching experience aside from 5 years of tutoring and 2 years of being a T.A. I have a TESOL certificate, 23/m from Canada and a native english speaker.

I want to pose a question to all that have worked for HESS or may know someone that works for HESS.

To begin with, I'm an Asian-Canadian, but do not look like a typical Asian. I'm very tall (6'2) but with a rather slim build and not so squinty eyes. I've been told that I look half black or even polynesian before. My question is, given that I am Asian, what is the likelihood that I will receive more than the minimum hours (20) per week they promise???

As one without any formal teaching experience, this minimum hours stuff brings a concern to me. I feel maybe I should be better off going to teach in Japan (Nova?) where the hourly pay is about the same, can have more fun, breathe better, and not worry about getting hours. The last thing I want to do is go over that far and get shafted.

On a side note, I have heard Taiwanese people tend to be very skeptical of FBC that are native speakers of English. In fact, during my interview, the interviewer even asked me how I was going to deal with parents that question my fluency in, let alone ability to teach, English. This is why the concern.

Thx in advance
matchstick_man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The likelihood of getting the promised hours is higher at a chain school however sometimes here you are pomised more hours and get less or promised less and get more...................as for the looks factor that will be down to management decision. Location is a huge factor for the hours chain schools and independent schools can give.
juzstylin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:44 am    Post subject: Guaranteed Hours in Taipei Reply with quote

I've let it be known that I would highly prefer Taipei over anywhere else.
Am I more likely to receive more hours in Taipei than anywhere else?

In other words, is the demand the highest in the city?
wood

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Guaranteed Hours in Taipei Reply with quote

juzstylin wrote:
I've let it be known that I would highly prefer Taipei over anywhere else.
Am I more likely to receive more hours in Taipei than anywhere else?

In other words, is the demand the highest in the city?

Many schools outside of Taipei will offer more hours. One of the reasons is that they don't have access to a large pool of foreigners with time on their hands. Schools in Taipei can often find a person to take six hours per week on a part-time basis so that their full-timers don't have to put in thirty hours. Outside of Taipei, such pools generally don't exist and so any extra hours are given to the full-time employees.

My guess is that you'd be able to get more private students here than other places and that would make it possible for you to maximize your earning potential. I'd say that most places will offer you anywhere from 20-30 hours per week. Twenty in Taipei would mean that you'd have more time to teach on a private basis. Thirty anywhere else would mean thirty. This is just an opinion.
juzstylin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: Private students Reply with quote

Really?

I've heard that teaching privately is illegal in Taiwan, yet everyone does it. Is it really that easy to attract private students? Moreover, the consequenses for doing this could be deportation and termination from an employer. I've read somewhere that the visa you get in Taiwan is tied to your employer and does not let you work for anyone other than the institution written on the back of the ARC card. If this is the case, why do I hear of so many teachers teach privately with all the risks at hand?
brian

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Private students Reply with quote

I would agree that there would be less competition for jobs in some areas outside of Taipei so some jobs could offer you more hours. However, in many cases these very schools don't really have many hours to offer and therefore teachers often don't get another hours that they want. Additionally, it is safe to assume that some of the smaller schools may not offer many new classes. In some cases a bigger school may offer you minimal hours first until you settle in and until they are sure that you can handle more hours. As new classes open up, good teachers will often find that their schedules fill up.

juzstylin wrote:
Really? I've heard that teaching privately is illegal in Taiwan, yet everyone does it. Is it really that easy to attract private students? Moreover, the consequenses for doing this could be deportation and termination from an employer. I've read somewhere that the visa you get in Taiwan is tied to your employer and does not let you work for anyone other than the institution written on the back of the ARC card. If this is the case, why do I hear of so many teachers teach privately with all the risks at hand?

Technically, it is illegal to earn any income outside of the employer that sponsors your residency. Privates would be included in this. Provided that you aren't stealing students from your employer, and provided that your privates don't interfere with your work with your sponsor then what you do in your own time is really no concern of theirs. Some people have privates, but others don't. It is totally up to individual and there are negatives and positives of both options.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: