Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Curriculum Ideas/Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aliaeli

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Curriculum Ideas/Help Reply with quote

I am basically trying to create a high school ESL curriculum from scratch. My school has some funding for books, but I am a new teacher and really don't know where to start looking so I would like some recommendations. Below, I describe my classes a little bit.

These are for grades 9-12.

I have two classes.... a true beginners group with intermediates mixed in and one student who is completely fluent, just has awful spelling (and after consulting the special ed teacher we both agree that there is language interferance as opposed to something like dyslexia).
I also have a very advanced group-- many do better on tests in their other classes (like science and history) than even the native speakers. But I have a couple of high intermediates in there as well, that I feel are slipping through the cracks because I have to teach to these extremely advanced students or else they will get bored or resentful (and some are for being placed in the class). Anyway, I am digressing... I am hoping for next semester to get this straightened out and have a true beginner group focused on vocabulary an intermediate group focused on conversation and perhaps an advanced group focused on reading and writing.
I think that the school would definately be open to my ideas and my laundry list, and there is a bit of a budget. Just when I arrived in August, there was no curriculum waiting for me. And some of the books and texts I did find, there isn`t enough of them for even half a class set.
There are not really any objectives that were set out for me, unless it is just get them to make AYP (annual yearly progress, goals guided by the NCLB). I know my beginners need to learn the language and start speaking it, and my advanced students... I don`t know.. read better and improve their grammar, I really feel they are out of the scope of the ESL curriculum.
For me, I received great training. I went to a top teachers college. My problem is really just lack of experience and also, I took the last four years off to start a family and so I feel a little rusty.

I appreciate any suggestions to get started. Thanks!
Jetgirly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend this website: http://apollo.ucalgary.ca/eslrw/. If you look over some of the data, I think you'll see how essential constant, direct vocabulary instruction is at this age level.

In my city there is an annual Teacher's Convention where we attend workshops and publishers set up stations; if you're able to attend something similar you could probably get some sample copies of textbooks from publishers (heck, you might even be able to do so by emailing the publishers directly).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: