Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Threads critical of schools in LOS permitted on Dave's
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ajarn Miguk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Mysterious reasons?"

Gee, I don't think so.

Are you sure your DI hat ain't on too tight?

The effect of having a blanket policy against all kinds of critical comments is to deprive teachers of information they may need.

Feel free to disagree.

If this site, a very major site for teachers and prospective teachers, can run the risk of such comments, why can't others?

I guess where we disagree is your notion that fear of losing sponsors is automatically a valid reason for a site to deprive teachers (on a site intended for teachers) of information they may need when investigating a prospective employer, school, training provider, etc.

If what you say is true, then I say shame on them.

That's just me, though. Cool
Placebo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ajarn Miguk wrote:

The effect of having a blanket policy against all kinds of critical comments is to deprive teachers of information they may need.

Feel free to disagree.

If this site, a very major site for teachers and prospective teachers, can run the risk of such comments, why can't others?

My hat might be on a little tight... -it's end of the term Laughing

You didn't explain why you think they are having these policies. All you did is explain the obvious effects.

One cannot disagree with "the effect" of such policies. You keep implying that I disagree with you when I completely agree with you on the effects, but you are questioning the motives not the effects, right?

According to your logic, these other sites intentionally deprive teachers of vital information which is simply not the case. You fail to recognize that the main site that I'm referring to openly says why they don't permit critical posts. They are protecting their business -that's all... No evil conspiracy against teachers.
The owner is an ex-teacher and is not intending to make the lives of teachers miserable as one might infer from your post.
Ajarn Miguk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you are correct. That's exactly what I am talking about: the effects of such a policy.

How are teachers and prospective teachers not deprived of potentially vital information if sites have a blanket policy not permitting postings critical of schools, employers, training programs, etc.?

Just because they do it for business reasons or openly announce such a policy does not automatically give them a pass, as you would have one and all believe.

The question is not one of an "evil conspiracy" directed at teachers or "intending to make the lives of teachers miserable," rather, what should these kinds of teacher focused sites be doing when it comes to assisting teachers and prospective teachers with their questions regarding possible employers, schools, training programs, etc.?

While there may be business reasons, among others, for doing what they are doing, this does not mean that they are necessarily doing the right thing when it comes to the effects of such a policy on teachers and prospective teachers.

When all is said and done, I think the way things are approached here in this respect is far better than on those other sites where teachers and prospective teachers are only permitted the "good" news and the "bad" news may not be presented or discussed.

If the opportunity to discuss the "bad" news saves some teacher serious problems, yes, then my opinion is this site and other sites with similar policies are doing it the right way.

Then again, that's just me, though. Cool
Gypsy King

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Information is power..especially on TEFL schools in the LOS who are mushrooming in the Big Mango! Some good, some bad and some downright ugly! Wecome to the LOS! TIT Laughing
Placebo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ajarn Miguk wrote:

Just because they do it for business reasons or openly announce such a policy does not automatically give them a pass, as you would have one and all believe.

I agree with everything you say about effects, but you seem to imply that teaching websites have a moral obligation to serve our needs and protect us from ill-willed employers. "Giving them a pass" sounds like these sites need to be regulated by some higher authority. Come back to reality... Not everybody is as altruistic as you seem to be Smile !
Ajarn Miguk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliment. There's nothing wrong with a little more altruism in today's world.

At the same time, permitting critical comments also seems to make good business sense recognizing how popular and successful Dave's has been since it came on the scene.

The 'higher authority' thing is in your mind, not mine.
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An off-topic posting has been deleted.

Please stay on topic.
Gypsy King

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Information is the most powerful tool we ESL'ers have in hand. If a school treats its teachers fairly and pays them a decent wage we can compliment them and not criticize them. On the other hand a school that treats its teachers poorly by offering very low wages and terminating them (ESL teachers) at will due to personal and not professional reasons should be criticized so future applicants can be given due warnings to protect them from being treated in a disrespectful manner from a school or recruiter. TIT! Smile
MaiPenRai

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 2 sides to every story.

Having worked in all aspects of the EFL industry, I can easily say that are as many "shady" teachers out there as there are "shady" schools.

You rarely hear about positive experiences at schools on the internet. Teachers at good schools tend to like to pass these jobs along via word of mouth (often to friends). You often hear the negative and it is usually very one-sided.

We can offer advice and help, but we need to keep a few secrets. LOL
btsmrtfan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if I have a bad experience at a school it's okay to write about it here but not on some other tefl sites?

I think it's a good thing that we can share experiences good and bad.

Why should we only be allowed to talk about good experiences?

Extremely weird.
PattyFlipper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies for digging up an old thread, however I have just read it through (on a slow, drizzly afternoon), found some of the observations quite interesting and thought I would add my own two satang's worth.

Several years ago, the other 'channel' for Thai-based teaching did use to allow criticism of schools and organizations in Thailand. However, it reached a point where many of the threads deteriorated into a slap and trollfest, between people on both sides of the argument with obvious agendas and axes to grind. Clearly, this was a moderation issue (something about which the other site has always been too lax, in my view) but the then owner(s) responded with a blanket ban on criticism of named schools and TEFL course-providers. This was before the site started to make what I imagine is fairly serious money through sponsorship, which of course only served to reinforce the policy.

Another point to consider is the arcane and draconian libel laws, both civil and criminal, which obtain in Thailand. Truth and/or fair comment are NOT a defence, and the complainant merely has to show that his reputation has been damaged for the action to succeed. Given the Thai (and indeed Asian) sensitivity to anything which can even remotely be construed as criticism, I think if I were a site-owner, with an established life in Thailand, I would also tend to be rather circumspect. Freedom of speech and expression are not traits for which Thailand or Asian countries in general are particularly celebrated.
Dane Wessex

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:54 am    Post subject: Pet Peeve; et tu, Brute? Reply with quote

Placebo wrote:
Also, Dave's is not limited to Thailand, so this site could care less about negative publicity among Thai schools.

This site could NOT care less about negative publicity among Thai schools. The logic behind the expression "I couldn't care less about X" is that I care so little about X that it would be impossible for me to care any less.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: