Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

King Saud University Preparatory Year Programme in Riyadh,
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robitusson

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
Grendal

Location: Lurking in the depths of the Faisaliah Tower underground parking.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manowur wrote:
Quote:
That should answer every question you have ever had and convince you that only desperation would lead one to accept a job there... IMHO

That seems kind of harsh. I'm here at the moment and although it's not the most ideal situation, I'm sure there are places far worse.

"Najran"

Grendal
7168Riyadh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: update: KSU PYP programme Reply with quote

Ref KSU quick update: 7 teachers on the male campus have been suspended pending disciplinary hearings. Their crime was to vent openly (about the April holiday cancellation and related gripes) on the "KSU Teachers" Google group, an alternative to the management-dominated "KSUTeachers" group. Some of the stuff said on the former site was silly, but boy it didn't take long for the hammer to fall. A very unpleasant situation.
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Grendal

Hmm, perhaps Najran's looking better and better. Very Happy

Regards,
John
lazycomputerkids

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: update: KSU PYP programme Reply with quote

7168Riyadh wrote:
Ref KSU quick update: 7 teachers on the male campus have been suspended pending disciplinary hearings. Their crime was to vent openly (about the April holiday cancellation and related gripes) on the "KSU Teachers" Google group, an alternative to the management-dominated "KSUTeachers" group. Some of the stuff said on the former site was silly, but boy it didn't take long for the hammer to fall. A very unpleasant situation.

I'm signed into Google groups and finding no returns for "KSU Teachers" or "KSUTeachers" using the group directory. Any ideas?

edit: A general Go-Ogle search, does however. I'd ask to join the group, but I'm not a teacher there. So, I'll just enjoy your updates.
Citizenkane

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ref KSU quick update: 7 teachers on the male campus have been suspended pending disciplinary hearings.

Suspended? Without pay? I didn't think that was even possible in KSA.

Seems like that place is turning into a nightmare. Shame, it used to be quite alright....
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take care when choosing your masters.
cmp45

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although choosing a good master is wise, so is choosing one's behavior.
I have no idea why these chaps were suspended, I think you have to be doing stuff that goes against the cultural and religious grain of the society to get suspended. Never forget where you are.

To avoid any confusion, no I have never been suspended, it is merely my opinion.
7168Riyadh

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Take care when choosing your masters.

yes, yes of course. But all situations are dynamic within space and time...

Quote:
I think you have to be doing stuff that goes against the cultural and religious grain of the society to get suspended

read political
Asda

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I remember one of my friends asking me if they had any concept of trade unions here...I cracked up laughing!!! Laughing
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, I remember one of my friends asking me if they had any concept of trade unions here...I cracked up laughing!!!

The Saudi Arabic newspaper Okaz published a passionate plea for trade unions yesterday.

Here's the English translation from today's Arab News.
http://arabnews.com/saudiarabia/article36160.ece
johnslat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Stephen,

Thanks for the article - it would, I think, be quite an improvement if unions were allowed, but I doubt it'll happen very soon (if at all.)

Regards,
John
Citizenkane

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if they did allow trade unions, would it make any difference on the ground?

Look at Saudi Labor Law, for example. It's hundreds of pages long, very thorough and reads as though it very much protects workers' rights. Has anyone ever heard of any foreigner successfully making a case with the Labour Laws, however? I haven't. Last year, a few former colleagues of mine had a very good case where their employer was clearly breaking the law. One of them came close to taking legal action, but in the end was told that it would just be a waste of time and money, as the employer always wins. So the Labor Laws are worthless in practice. I've a feeling the same would be true of trade unions, were they to be allowed.
Never Ceased To Be Amazed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
Dear Stephen,

Thanks for the article - it would, I think, be quite an improvement if unions were allowed, but I doubt it'll happen very soon (if at all.)

Regards,
John

I think that this calls for the swagger and forcefulness of king abdullah, you know, the one which "rocks"! Laughing ... Shocked ... Laughing

NCTBA
lazycomputerkids

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never Ceased To Be Amazed wrote:
johnslat wrote:
Dear Stephen,

Regards,
John

I think that this calls for the swagger and forcefulness of king abdullah, you know, the one which "rocks"! :lol: ... :shock: ... :lol:

NCTBA

IMHO...the King would be rolling were he to embrace unions. From an investor's point of view, unions are a failure of management. Free -market capitalists consider unions a protectionist racket.

I don't concede the protection of workers is accomplished by free-markets, but I've yet to see a union not exhibit the qualities of bureaucracy.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: