Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AEON Interview
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiggy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. I didn't expect to receive a free vacation. Thanks for the clarification.

Except when you work in schools over here, you know, the hours are typically 7 or 8 to 3:30 PM. No Saturdays and Sundays.

At AEON, the hours were 12:00 - 9:00 PM, with some Saturdays and Sundays. Actually, the hours were more like 11:30 - 9:30 PM, because they wanted you to arrive early and stay late.

For travel time, that would leave me, at least, 1 hour of travel per day, roughly, 30 minutes to work and 30 minutes home. I may be exaggerating a little, but not much.

So, in actuality, if I included travel time, the day would be from 11:00 - 10:00 PM.

I've worked long hours before and I'd really like to avoid the feeling of always being at work: waking up, going to work, going home, sleeping, waking up, going to work, going home, etc.

I honestly don't think this is considered a normal schedule, but I may be wrong. Are there "normal" schedules?
LaniB

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shiggy wrote:
Nope.

Sorry to hear Shiggy! I really thought you would do well. AEON's not the be all and end all - ECC seems to be the best of the eikwaiwas so apply there! There's also a rather large list of other eikwaiwas prominent across this forum.

If all else had failed I was going to apply through a company called Reach To Teach which hires for China, South Korea and Taiwan. If you're not set on Japan, they come highly recommended. I haven't found one negative review for them.
Bread

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shiggy wrote:
Right. I didn't expect to receive a free vacation. Thanks for the clarification.

Except when you work in schools over here, you know, the hours are typically 7 or 8 to 3:30 PM. No Saturdays and Sundays.

At AEON, the hours were 12:00 - 9:00 PM, with some Saturdays and Sundays. Actually, the hours were more like 11:30 - 9:30 PM, because they wanted you to arrive early and stay late.

For travel time, that would leave me, at least, 1 hour of travel per day, roughly, 30 minutes to work and 30 minutes home. I may be exaggerating a little, but not much.

So, in actuality, if I included travel time, the day would be from 11:00 - 10:00 PM.

I've worked long hours before and I'd really like to avoid the feeling of always being at work: waking up, going to work, going home, sleeping, waking up, going to work, going home, etc.

I honestly don't think this is considered a normal schedule, but I may be wrong. Are there "normal" schedules?

That's a very normal schedule for an eikaiwa. It would be stupid for an eikaiwa to close on evenings and weekends, because that's when their customers have free time. ALT work is generally something like 8-5, but every school is different.
Shiggy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I've heard of Reach to Teach.

I'm just wondering if there are actual jobs in public schools, rather than these eikaiwas?
Bread

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shiggy wrote:
Thanks. I've heard of Reach to Teach.

I'm just wondering if there are actual jobs in public schools, rather than these eikaiwas?

Again, ALT is in public schools. You missed the hiring.
ShioriEigoKyoushi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

--

Last edited by ShioriEigoKyoushi on Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shiggy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShioriEigoKyoushi wrote:
Shiggy wrote:
I honestly don't think this is considered a normal schedule, but I may be wrong.

It sounds very much like mine.

Shiori

How do you make it work for you, Shi? Do you ever get overwhelmed or burned out?

When do you find time to do other things?
ShioriEigoKyoushi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

--

Last edited by ShioriEigoKyoushi on Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Apsara

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That schedule also sounds a lot like mine when I was working in eikaiwa. This is Japan we are talking about- apart from JETs perhaps Smile, everybody works hard here (or at least they put in long hours), and you can be sure that the Japanese staff at the eikaiwas are doing longer hours than the teachers, and for less pay.

I did burn out after a few years of that, but I don't really think eikaiwa was ever meant to be a long term career. I still had two days off a week to do what I pleased with, and I tended to get a lot done in the mornings too. I also travelled outside Japan 3 times a year- between the 10-11 paid holidays, one week off at New Year (also paid), and shift swaps with other teachers, it wasn't hard.

There are plenty of Japanese people who work 16 hours a day, 6 days a week, so you wouldn't get any sympathy from them if you said you thought an eikaiwa teacher's schedule left one with no free time!
Shiggy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cultural differences, I guess.

Work to live, don't live to work. That's my motto.

I plan on applying to JET for 2011. I think I'll take some Japanese courses to show that I'm motivated.

In hindsight, I probably should have stayed in school. By now, I would have had a teaching certification, an endorsement in ESL and a Master's in Teaching. *sigh*

Anyway. Thank you for your comments and good luck in your future endeavors.
LadyK

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Shiori- this is a VERY different job from working in the States in some public or private school. Companies like AEON actually don't want people with too much experience, because they want to teach you their own methods. It's up to YOU to adapt to the world of conversation English. But you can do it!!!!! Use student names and A LOT of GESTURES. Repetition of vocab is good too, but remember, you're teaching beginners, so don't explain. Show, don't tell. Good luck!
CarolinaBen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trying to decide what part of my lesson plan to include in the 5 minute teaching demonstration next week. I was hoping to get some good feedback.

Lesson Topic - Do You Like Animals?

The Intro\WarmUp = A song I wrote about different animals, haha. I will be playing guitar and having the students repeat the lyrics back to me. One of the students will flip through flashcards with different animal pictures.

Example
Do you like monkeys?
Do you like monkeys?
Yes I do
Yes I do
No I don't
No I don't

Middle Activity - A Karuta style game where the students sit on the floor in a circle with flashcards of different animals on the floor. Each student takes turns passing around a toy microphone asking

Do you like (animal name)?

If I say No I don't then they pass the mic
If I say Yes I do then all of the students attempt to grab the card of the animal that was mentioned.

So my question is....................which should I do for the 5 minute lesson demonstration?????????????

Do you have any other ideas that could make my lesson even better.

All help will me greatly appreciated.
Piri-Piri

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarolinaBen wrote:
Lesson Topic - Do You Like Animals?

The Intro\WarmUp = A song I wrote about different animals, haha. I will be playing guitar and having the students repeat the lyrics back to me. One of the students will flip through flashcards with different animal pictures.

Example
Do you like monkeys?
Do you like monkeys?
Yes I do
Yes I do
No I don't
No I don't

So your warmer is using the full sentences the students will learn in the lesson?

Also - how will the student who flips through the flashcards know when to flip (or whether they have the correct animal)? Will only one student do this? (beware perception of favouritism, when you reach the classroom in practice)

CarolinaBen wrote:

Middle Activity - A Karuta style game where the students sit on the floor in a circle with flashcards of different animals on the floor. Each student takes turns passing around a toy microphone asking

Do you like (animal name)?

If I say No I don't then they pass the mic
If I say Yes I do then all of the students attempt to grab the card of the animal that was mentioned.

Sounds confusing to me - again, how will they know what to do? Would suggest sticking to drilling by passing cards around the circle (student passing the card has to ask the question and show the card).

CarolinaBen wrote:

So my question is....................which should I do for the 5 minute lesson demonstration?????????????

Five minutes isn't a long time. How about doing a class drill of the language and animal names by holding up the animal card. Then use a "smiley face" card and a "sad face" card to indicate "yes I do" or "no I don't" and drill the responses. Then get the cards going around in the circle. Then if there's time, get out the guitar. The song is a great idea, but there has to be a progression from first reviewing the vocabulary (you can probably safely assume your "students" at the Aeon demo will know that, but it'd be good to write down that you've made this assumption) through to building the language (question and response) and then ideally some kind of free practice.

That's my feedback. Good luck.
Paul RVA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an interview with Amity next weekend and was planning on doing an alphabet flashcard game for my lesson plan.

It goes like this.

2 students stand up from the group. I show the card with the letter, and the first to say the correct letter gets to move up to the next student while the other one sits down. After the student says the correct letter, I ask the class as a whole to say the letter and continue the game.

Should I use the alphabet or would a noun or adjective game be better?
Piri-Piri

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to use the alphabet, use just a smaller number of letters.

I'm UK based, so the approach I use is based on "Letters and Sounds" which is the phonics curriculum for UK schools. It splits the alphabet into groups. If you were going to use something like that, you could teach one of the groups (s,a,t,p,i,n) or (since all your "students" will find that quite easy in the demo!) you could teach some of the combined vowel sounds (ou, ai, oi) or consonants (ch, sh, th).

As long as you don't try and do 26 in one lesson, the alphabet should be fine. Try and include a stage where you're teaching them what the sounds are before you ask anyone to stand up and tell you the answers, too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: