Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AEON Interview
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CarolinaBen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am getting super nervous about this interview next week. =) I am a licensed teacher with 2 years of experience, however from what I have read that might actually be more of a disadvantage than an advantage.

Paul I am also interviewing with Amity next week. Good luck to you.

I got another interview with PKC next month. These interviews are getting expensive at $500 each, ha.
mstoffer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarolinaBen, if you are a licensed teacher with experience you shouldn't have a problem. The disadvantage you are worried about is that the schools are afraid you will be too set in your ways and not adapt to their ways. As long as you make it clear you will teach the company's methods you shouldn't have a problem. I would make a point to say that during the interview portion. If they didn't want you because of your experience you wouldn't have gotten the interviews!

I think your experience will help you do a great job during the presentation part (the most important part) so as long as you are ready for the English grammar tests you should do great!

Good luck!!
CarolinaBen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for all the amazing info. All of the info in this post was 100% accurate and so helpful. I have the personal interview today.
Willy_In_Japan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I interviewed with Aeon in 2002, I crashed and burned for a few reasons. One of the things that I wish someone had given me some advice on was the mini lesson.

After teaching English for a few years, I have gotten to know a few things about teaching Japanese people English.

One particular thing that confuses Japanese is 'How is it going?' I think it would impress the interviewers if you came up with a quick lesson to teach it.

A suggestion for a mini lesson would be to present

1. How is ________ going? (used for events that are not completed)

2. How was ______? (used for events that are completed)

3. How did ______ go? (used for events that are completed but more information is wanted)

You can explain that question 1. is used for things that have a start and finish but are ongoing. (explain that 'your life' is possible, but people use IT to ask about your life)

Question 2. is used for events that are completed ie: 'How was your lunch?'

Question 3. is used for events that are completed but more information is wanted. I usually give a business lunch using English as an example; 'How did your business lunch go?' versus simply 'How was your lunch?'

Present or ask the students how to answer each question.

ie. 1. It is going well/good/ok/not so good. (explain that good is not correct but acceptable like 'zen zen daijobu desu'.

2. It was good/ok/not so good

3. It went well/good/ok/not so good.

Practice by having the students ask you about your job, the weekend, your lunch, your day, your week etc. Mix it up by having them answer a positive, neutral or negative answer.....Once they get the questions and answers, have them practice in pairs or rotate in groups.

This is just one idea. I am sure there are a lot of experienced teachers who could suggest some other ideas. I personally think using 'fruit' is dangerous because it is difficult to know when to use plural or singular.....I also find 'What is your favourite........?' always elicits 'I like....' as an answer which is also good to avoid.....however, it could also be used as a teaching point....but rarely do people answer in full sentences...ie 'What is your favourite ice cream?' 'My favourite ice cream is vanilla'.

Can anyone else contribute some suggestions?
Willy_In_Japan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I interviewed with Aeon in 2002, I crashed and burned for a few reasons. One of the things that I wish someone had given me some advice on was the mini lesson.

After teaching English for a few years, I have gotten to know a few things about teaching Japanese people English.

One particular thing that confuses Japanese is 'How is it going?' I think it would impress the interviewers if you came up with a quick lesson to teach it.

A suggestion for a mini lesson would be to present

1. How is ________ going? (used for events that are not completed)

2. How was ______? (used for events that are completed)

3. How did ______ go? (used for events that are completed but more information is wanted)

You can explain that question 1. is used for things that have a start and finish but are ongoing. (explain that 'your life' is possible, but people use IT to ask about your life)

Question 2. is used for events that are completed ie: 'How was your lunch?'

Question 3. is used for events that are completed but more information is wanted. I usually give a business lunch using English as an example; 'How did your business lunch go?' versus simply 'How was your lunch?'

Present or ask the students how to answer each question.

ie. 1. It is going well/good/ok/not so good. (explain that good is not correct but acceptable like 'zen zen daijobu desu'.

2. It was good/ok/not so good

3. It went well/good/ok/not so good.

Practice by having the students ask you about your job, the weekend, your lunch, your day, your week etc. Mix it up by having them answer a positive, neutral or negative answer.....Once they get the questions and answers, have them practice in pairs or rotate in groups.

This is just one idea. I am sure there are a lot of experienced teachers who could suggest some other ideas. I personally think using 'fruit' is dangerous because it is difficult to know when to use plural or singular.....I also find 'What is your favourite........?' always elicits 'I like....' as an answer which is also good to avoid.....however, it could also be used as a teaching point....but rarely do people answer in full sentences...ie 'What is your favourite ice cream?' 'My favourite ice cream is vanilla'.

Can anyone else contribute some suggestions?
Ishi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: AEON Interview Reply with quote

I am going to interview with AEON in August. Can anyone give some advice or share their experiences with the second interview? I am not too stressed about the first one, but the second one seems a little intimidating. Can we use a computer and the internet for research? I am not very knowledgeable about grammar or spelling, so I am hopeful that I do well with the conversational piece. Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: