Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aristotle, where exactly are you coming from?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScottSommers

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:27 am    Post subject: My Postings Reply with quote

I beg your pardon.

I've posted quite a bit on this board, so I should be somewhere in the "incorrect" advice you refer to. Please let me know what I said that was wrong. Or am I one of those privileged few you deem to have posted correct advice?
brian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mozilla wrote:
I never said I was an expert. ... I feel I have every right to express my opinion as do you.

Well stop acting like you think that you are. Yes, you have every right to offer your opinions. I conceeded this in my earlier post. Along with your rights you also have responsibilities. The responsibility to post what you know to be factual. If you aren't sure about something, or haven't had much experience with it then state this so that there is no confusion.

Mozilla wrote:
As far as incorrect information, I am referring to the the various posts concerning visa runs, and requirements.

Care to elaborate on what exactly was wrong with the information provided. No need to name names if you don't to, but not knowing what advice given on the board is wrong isn't very helpful.
Polina

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 1:43 pm    Post subject: Aristotle Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
Quote:
What authority does he have to be dishing out advice for people to avoid Taiwan, or large parts of it anyway.

He gave me a lot of very valuable advice when I was in a spot of bother, and didn't pressure me at all for anything in return. I think he is a person of principles, not just self-centred greed. Good on him, because from what I've seen, there is not a high proportion of people on this island with that kind of a personality.
TaoyuanSteve

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think "Aristotle" is out to mislead anyone or provide incorrect information on purpose. He does have useful information. That said, criticisms concerning his work advisories, unwillingness to release information that could be useful to others without first obtaining membership in his club and his claim that residing here under false pretences is somehow preferable to legal residence are all valid critiques.

I also appreciate there are differing points of view out there. On the issue of arc vs no arc, I clearly disagree with "Aristotle." Especially with the recent rule change concerning changing jobs, legal residence is looking more and more attractive. Still, blanket statements probably won't do. It's really up to us as individuals to decide what best suits our own set of circumstances. I wish there was a little more evidence coming from "Aristotle's" camp as to why illegal work is so great, though.

Let's not let this thread turn into an "Aristotle roast. I agree that he is "colorful," but this is a pretty colorful place.
jason_seeburn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brian wrote:
Mozilla wrote:
As someone who is now working illegally...I am MUCH happier than my legal counterparts. Also leaving the country is quite fun---if you plan ahead.

It seems that we may have an up-and-coming 'Jason Seeburn' on the board.

Mozilla, whilst your comments are valuable and in line with my request, let's put them into context. My understanding is that you arrived late last year, worked for Hess, broke your contract and have made the decision to stay on in Taiwan working illegally. This would mean that you have been working illegally for a whole, four odd months now at the most. That means one visa run so far, and no doubt none of the downsides to working illegally have yet been encountered. You are still in the newbie category in my opinion. In might be best if you write back a year from now once you have had a chance to really understand the situation you seem to recommending.

Wow, Brio. Didn't know I had such an effect on you. I almost was actually back in Taiwan, after a rather unfortunate drunken escapade that nearly got me kicked out of law school. But I'm still here. I have these little problems with authority (hehehe). Anyway, glad to see I made an impression. I hope to be out of Toronto within a year and travelling again. Hope not to meet you (you might bore me so much that I turn to illicit drugs to get my headspace back)

J.
jason_seeburn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brian wrote:
Mozilla wrote:
So far, he has never said anything that was incorrect---as opposed to just about everyone else on here.

This shows just how nieve and new you must be. Feel free to point out what is incorrect with the posts made by just about everyone else, now you that you have become such an authority here. It will be interesting to see what you can come up with. Not much I expect!

There is only one person who is truly not an authority here. Anyone guess who that is?
jason_seeburn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mozilla wrote:

This shows just how nieve and new you must be. Feel free to point out what is incorrect with the posts made by just about everyone else, now you that you have become such an authority here. It will be interesting to see what you can come up with. Not much I expect!

I never said I was an expert. I have only stated my opinions, and never claimed them to be fact. If you know as much as you claim to know about Taiwan then you should know that everyone has a different experience. I feel I have every right to express my opinion as do you.

As far as incorrect information, I am referring to the the various posts concerning visa runs, and requirements.

he argues with eveyone. just ignore him
davidla

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pot...kettle..black
Surely?!
Davidla
jason_seeburn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidla wrote:
pot...kettle..black
Surely?!
Davidla

hmmm, but the difference is, I'm usually right.
Aristotle

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone please tell me why this post was deleted ?
Quote:

Did you ever notice how the locals can not recognize sarcasm when they see it. Happened to me again just the other post.

Quote:
Sorry to have had to abandon you. I had to make one of those dreaded obligatory visa runs.
It was terrible, I am sunburned and hangover something awful. Woke up yesterday morning with a tattoo on my buttocks. All those years I have spent in Thailand I still find myself seduced by small beautiful islands and Mekhong Rum . I am going to have to take a couple of more days off just to recover from my vacation and let my lungs adjust.
Nearly all of the information your have requested is available to any and all Full Members of SSETT.

Brian Wrote:
Quote:
Sorry to hear that. If you became legal you wouldn't have to have gone to all that trouble, could have saved a deal of money, and actually been money like the rest of us. I can't understand why you would choose to have to jump through hoops every couple of months just to stay here when you don't need to.

Seems their is no such mechanism in the local culture. Even overseas Chinese have problems recognizing it when they see it.
Brian, it looks like you may be out of a job next month.
Are you in the market for a second passport?
Drop me an email, maybe I can help you out.
Turns out that tattoo was just a bit of Indian ink put on as a going away present from old friends.

This is a new low for those ROC cronies.
Have one of the mods finally snapped or has this site been hacked as well.

Another thing I have noticed about the local people's belief system is that they are incredibly superstitious about matters of money, fortune and luck. For instance if I was correct in my assertions concerning the individual in question then he would in fact be a local and harbor such beliefs. That person would then go to any length to remove such statements so as not to influence his or her fate. There is a very strong local superstition about if such matters are stated then they are more likely to come true.
Perhaps a trip to one of the more powerful temples might be more effective, make an offering, burn some incense or perhaps drop the moon stones until your get the answer you want.
I also know a very good fortune teller who may be able to assist in these kinds of matters.

A.
TaoyuanSteve

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TaoyuanSteve

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jason_seeburn wrote:
brian wrote:
Mozilla wrote:
So far, he has never said anything that was incorrect---as opposed to just about everyone else on here.

There is only one person who is truly not an authority here. Anyone guess who that is?

I can. YOU!
EOD

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it to Tealit!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: