Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I'd like to thank... (introduction)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
renovatio

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:09 am    Post subject: I'd like to thank... (introduction) Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I would like to thank everyone on here for their contributions, and state that I've read quite a few posts on here before even getting an account from Dave. I have had many questions answered for me on this forum, but of course there is always more.

I currently live in California working on a BA in International politics and economics. I am in my late twenties, and I lived in Germany in 2004 and 2005. I took a year and a half of German in college, but I'm not fluent. I will be finished with my BA in May and plan to move back to Frankfurt to be with friends in either June or July to pursue an English teaching job; this of course means I have a place to live near Frankfurt. This brings me to my first question that I have seen mentioned on the forum here and there, but I would like to get a clear direct answer from some of the veterans out there.

What is the best time to go to Germany for an English teaching position? I am looking for an exact month if possible as I will be ready to leave at the end of May.

I would also like to add that I'm not going for the money, and after doing research on here and other places I would be fine with a job at Berlitz or another business like it. When I lived in Germany I worked for about 7 euro an hour for the DoD, and I feel that almost any job would be better than the job I had, but I did for a year and a half anyway because I liked Germany so much. I'm not an EU citizen, but I have good friends that will help me out as much as they can. I'll thank you now for any feedback given.
stillnosheep

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: I'd like to thank... (introduction) Reply with quote

renovatio wrote:
Hello everyone,

What is the best time to go to Germany for an English teaching position? I am looking for an exact month if possible as I will be ready to leave at the end of May.

I'm not an EU citizen, but I have good friends that will help me out as much as they can.

Unless your good friends are in a position both to employ you as a teacher of English (which I suspect they are not as if they were you wouldn't have needed to start this thread) and can show that only you can can do a task that no available EU citizen is qualified to do which is needed for you to get a work permit then I suspect that you may be out of luck, unless you intend to marry an EU citizen first. Just as the US generally doesn't give work permits to non US citizen English speaking teachers of English, neither does Germany generally give work permits to non EU citizen English speaking teachers of English. I suspect that the black market in illegal English teachers is not that big in Frankfurt.
renovatio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, stillnosheep you have over 2,000 posts on here and you can honestly say that you've not read or replied to one post on here about an American actually working as a freelance or contract English teacher in Germany? I find that very hard to believe because I've seen quite a few, and I was thinking about going through them all so I can post quotes on here for you, but I thought, nahhh, they will just discourage anyway. Thanks though! P.S. For anyone else that doesn't feel an overwhelming urge to be discouraging I'm still looking for an answer to my question.

You know what? What the heck here is one of many from mid 2009:

Quote:
While I am in Stuttgart, not Berlin, I did just get permission to work in Germany (about a half month ago in fact). One problem I ran into was that the Auslaenderbehoerde (aliens office) wanted me to have at least two companies that offered me work, and said that in order to be a freelance English teacher, I had to have two. I really had no other problems with the government. As an American it was really quite simple, and even though I put down that I would support myself with savings and a job, I was not asked to show a bank statement or provide any financial information.

I guess the person who wrote this was able to a job that no EU citizen could do. And this person must be a liar:

Quote:
If a non-EU person wants it enough, they can relocate to Germany. Most posters on here are negative towards anyone wishing to do so, and the economic thing gives even more ammo. There will always be freelance teaching work. The Arbeitsamt (employment office) even make it compulsory for the unemployed to attend courses such as English � so there�s more work for teachers straightaway thanks to economic gloom and doom, woohoo.
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

renovatio, I'm scanning posts and notice that you plan on relocating to Germany at the end of June. You might want to reconsider your timing - keep in mind that most job contracts are Sept - June, and that Europeans really keep holiday time sancrosact. You're unlikely to find an employer to consider you very seriously until end August or early September, and all that time, your 90 day Schengen zone time period will be ticking away. (I guess you're already educated about this, but in case not, google Schengen zone for a list of member countries and the 90-day rule).

You might think about arriving mid to end August to maximise your chances of finding work and getting legal paperwork filed before your 90 days expires.
renovatio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now is that time frame you gave me the same for chain schools such as Berlitz or Acculingua spiral? I don't really feel qualified enough to get a contract. I figure if I go at the very begining of July I have until the very end of September to find something. Thank you.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The time frame is about the same for all schools, as the holiday schedule affects them all. You're right that you would have until the end of September - I just think you might be a bit more secure if your clock started ticking at the end of August, and you had, say, 15 August thru 15 November to get paperwork filed, you see.
Shaytess

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:40 am    Post subject: Moving to Germany to teach Reply with quote

I agree with Spiral that August is a good time to come. Not many people want to begin English classes in June or July, just to take a big break for holidays in August. If you come in August, school will be getting ready for the 'fall rush' of classes.

I think that it will help your chances a great deal if you can do some volunteer ESL teaching or tutoring or get a TESOL/TEFL certificate before you come (even an online one can help).
renovatio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot. I am going to contact some language centers in the Frankfurt area to get a better idea, and I may reschedule my departure date. When would you say that the fall rush starts in Germany. I know in the states its mid to late August. I lived with five students when I was in Germany last time, but I didn't really pay attention.

I will definitely look into some volunteer ESL work, but I thought that those online certs don't do much, and are really a waste of a couple hundred dollars.
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with skipping the online cert - they are generally considered substandard in the region. However, you may well find that many employers will want a CELTA or equivalent. There are many offered over here: Prague, for example, is a training centre mecca (one reason so many newbies in the region have a CELTA or equivalent on-site cert to begin with).

It may be that you can find something without certification, but if you find that employers want one, you can likely walk into a cert course at the last minute (so long as you can afford one!) and hopefully get a job immediately after it.

As backup in case you find that you really need certification, you might gather info about cert courses available in September in the region. I know there are tonnes in Prague, but likely there are some in Germany as well. It could be useful to know where to go and what to do should you find that cert will be necessary to land a job.

Remember, you've got to somehow do it all in only 90 days these days!

Shaytess, didn't you go over before 2009? If so, you had a bit more leeway in terms of deadlines for legal paperwork to be filed, right?
Shaytess

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I came before 2009... It was 'strict' then at the Auslanderbehorde, but I've heard that it's even much, much stricter now in terms of health insurance programmes they'll accept and how many 'Letters of Intent' they want to see from Americans. I think the time limit was also 90 days then, too, though...

Do you really think an online teaching cert. is a waste of money? I'd be curious to hear others' ideas... I haven't done the online thing myself - I would think the biggest disadvantage is that you get no real-world teaching practice and feedback from a tutor on your teaching in-class. But how is the theory part? Has anyone done both an online AND a face-to-face certificate to compare the two?
renovatio

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 90 day thing has been since the mid 80s hasn't it, brought in with the with the Schengen Agreement?

Also, spiral and Shaytess thank you for your replies, if I do go it will be at the end of July or early August.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: