Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Philippines - possible?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Philippines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Catullus2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:57 am    Post subject: The Philippines - possible? Reply with quote

yes I know - many people in the Phils speak English already, there's no ESL market etc etc.

As it happens there IS an ESL market there, though it seems mostly geared toward Korean and Japanese students. But, I don't really know how large or extensive it is and how much work is available.

My question is: what are the odds, if one has a TEFL certificate and more than a year's experience (and an American accent) in getting enough work if I simply arrive in the Phils are start browsing around the schools?

DOES ANYONE WHO HAS ACTUALLY LIVED AND TAUGHT IN THE PHILIPPINES have advice/warnings about trying to teach there?

Thanks.
Gypsy King

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save yourself a lot of time and money. The Philippines is a tourist destination. English schools are run by Filipinos who pay peanuts for ESL teachers. Best advice is to apply at international schools from overseas...those that are AMerican or Britishetc. If you just arrive and look for work in the PI you will be very dissapointed. Shocked
Kiels

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES IT IS POSSIBLE!

I just got a job at an international school in Angeles City, starting this September. I'll be an Early Years teacher but I know this school do teach ESL (qualified teachers with license from home country) since many of their students are Korean, Japanese, Chinese etc.

I wouldn't recommend just turning up though; I'm not sure how lucrative the job market is and as the previous post suggests, apply from home, not in country. Long way to go when there aren't that many immediate opportunties.
Kiels

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just seen two jobs advertised in the Philippines at an international school in Manila on the MOD EDIT. One for Key Stage 1 teacher, one for Science Teacher.
russel1988

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: philippines Reply with quote

I am in contact with Noblesse and am wondering what I should say for salary I expect. They are asking me What salary I require in US$. Any idea?
tatsuo1

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: philippines Reply with quote

russel1988 wrote:
I am in contact with Noblesse and am wondering what I should say for salary I expect. They are asking me What salary I require in US$. Any idea?

If you keep your request within $800 to $1000 range you should be fine. Check the currency exchange rate though. The Philippine Peso sometimes fluctuates wildly. The average teacher in the Philippines earns about 25000 Php per month. Hope this helps.
Teachurrrr

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Anywhere between 30,000 to 60,000 pesos in my experience Reply with quote

In 2002, I made $1000 (50,000 pesos) a month at a language school in Cebu.

In 2006, I applied at a number of schools in Cebu. Some were offering 50,000 pesos/month during the "high" months and 30,000 pesos/month in the "low" months (with apartment). Some offered 30,000 pesos/ month period. You can guess what I told them to do with their job (albeit politely). A couple of schools were willing to offer 50,000 pesos/month + apartment or allowance. One school offered 60,000 pesos/month with no apartment allowance.

From 2006-2008, I made (take home) 61,000 pesos a month at an international school.

This is peanuts to some, but we lived rather well (35,000 peso budget for a 3 bedroom apartment and a nice lifestyle) and save almost 26,000 pesos a month (roughly $US600 a month at then exchange rate 43 pesos to the US dollar). Not bad for us. Terrible for others.

Hope this helps.

Teachurrrr
Eva_madison

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does help a lot,
Thanks Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Philippines All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: