Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

JET Interview: How Did Yours Go?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TiGrBaLm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 4:16 am    Post subject: JET Interview: How Did Yours Go? Reply with quote

Hello there,

Im in Canada and have just gotten over my horrible interview which I had on Feb.20th. I just wanted to know what others felt about their interviews. I felt that many of the questions were quite strange (well that and the fact I tensed up real bad). Some of the questions I got were:

How would you describe the French-English problem in Canada to the Japanese?

Me: (umm do they really even care?)

How would you describe the treatment of the Natives in Canadian history to the Japanese?

Me: (ummmmmm.......)

Describe gender roles in Japan

Me: (wha?! ok this is getting hard)

Well thats just a little sample of the questions I got.

I guess I wont be going to Japan as part of JET. I surely dont wanna go as part of NOVA or GEOS, so I guess I'm headed to Korea. Anyone have any good suggestions as far as recruitment agencies go?

MinNa SaN DOumO ArIGaToU!
Glenski

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the first place, I don't understand the point of asking how someone's interview went, because you have no control over the circumstances at this point.

As to some specifics...

Quote:
How would you describe the French-English problem in Canada to the Japanese?

Me: (umm do they really even care?)

If this was even close to the answer you gave, you probably got serious negative points. The whole point of this question was to see how much you know about your own culture and can explain it to foreigners. That's the reason JET was formed. Internationalization.

Quote:
How would you describe the treatment of the Natives in Canadian history to the Japanese?

Me: (ummmmmm.......)

Same response, same negative points. By now, I would say you have flunked the interview.

Quote:
Describe gender roles in Japan

Me: (wha?! ok this is getting hard)

This one was meant to see if you have done your homework and studied anything about Japan. A bit odd, yes, but if you are thinking of coming to a foreign land, you should bone up a bit on the culture. Maybe you had some experience in Japan, and they wanted your opinion.
TiGrBaLm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to clarify thats not what I said at all. Thats just what I think of the questions.
Glenski

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tigr,

I didn't figure you answered like that, but did you understand the reasoning I explained behind asking such questions? That's more important than the answers themselves. JET interviews are more than just "what's your weak point?" and "what can you contribute to us?"
John Balance

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 7:34 pm    Post subject: Read these Posts before you Decide to go to Korea Reply with quote

http://www.eslcafe.com/jobinfo/asia/sefer.cgi?display:1023830668-23234.txt

http://www.eslcafe.com/jobinfo/asia/sefer.cgi?display:1037829356-14201.txt

Japan is quite a bit different from Korea, on many levels. If you are interested in Japan, you can get into the country with one of the Big Four and then quit after six months or so and find a better job. Anyone can survive NOVA for six months. Few jobs in Japan are as bad as a typical job in Korea.
William Beckerson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: JET Interview: How Did Yours Go? Reply with quote

TiGrBaLm wrote:
so I guess I'm headed to Korea. Anyone have any good suggestions as far as recruitment agencies go?
MinNa SaN DOumO ArIGaToU!

I have one question for you to consider before going to Korea:

How good are you at swallowing every shred of pride and dignity you have? You will be getting a lot of take-home cash in Korea, but unless you get lucky, you'll be pretty much treated like Kunta Kinte there.

Oh yeah, if you arent lilly-white, forget it. They seem to think that only white skinned folks can speak english.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: